cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Not trying to be condescending at all. Just common sense. How could I presume to say what anyone can say or not say on a message board???

If you, or anyone else on this board has ever served a mission (I'm assuming most on here purport to be LDS)...then you know how people are all over the spectrum regarding their spirituality.

It is easy to throw things about, on a message board,... but you never know how it will affect people. If one finds themselves calling LDS authors or GA's derogatory names, saying they are full of crap, etc... is that constructive? Not saying you have to even be constructive...don't know what I"m trying to say at the moment...but, I would think that one would be more sensitive to the various levels of spirituality of people who are "out there".

I am half serious about a "philosophy" catagory.
Your warning is duly noted.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not trying to be condescending at all. Just common sense. How could I presume to say what anyone can say or not say on a message board???

If you, or anyone else on this board has ever served a mission (I'm assuming most on here purport to be LDS)...then you know how people are all over the spectrum regarding their spirituality.

It is easy to throw things about, on a message board,... but you never know how it will affect people. If one finds themselves calling LDS authors or GA's derogatory names, saying they are full of crap, etc... is that constructive? Not saying you have to even be constructive...don't know what I"m trying to say at the moment...but, I would think that one would be more sensitive to the various levels of spirituality of people who are "out there".

It's more useful in these cases to point them out specifically as they occur.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we could break the Religion forum into two catagories.

A Theology forum

and

A Religion forum
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's more useful in these cases to point them out specifically as they occur.
Bingo.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The category is "Religion", not "Mormonism". Mormonism is a subset of Religion, not the other way around.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The category is "Religion", not "Mormonism". Mormonism is a subset of Religion, not the other way around.
The majority of the discussions here are theological, therefore this forum is more a theology forum than religion forum.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

"It's more useful in these cases to point them out specifically as they occur."

Yes...it would. But I don't have time.

"I think we could break the Religion forum into two catagories.
A Theology forum
and
A Religion forum"

Agreed...this is more correct.

"The category is "Religion", not "Mormonism". Mormonism is a subset of Religion, not the other way around."

Yes, my mistake. I was implying that most who post here, would assume that "religion" would apply to "Mormonism"...since that is what I thought most of us are/were on this board. I may be entirely wrong on that assumption.

Bottom line, I think everyone knows what I was trying to say. Didn't want to cause an uproar...nor does my comments warrant badgering (at least I didn't think so). For those on this board that have been or currently are LDS, ought to know what was my intentions were on posting my original thoughts. For those that are not LDS, no offense intended.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For those on this board that have been or currently are LDS, ought to know what was my intentions were on posting my original thoughts.
I think your intention is perfectly clear: to point out that you think that much of the discussion here is inappropriate for LDS to be engaged in, and that you want to have a seperate category for that material which you find objectionable.

If that is a motion, then I second it. Lets have a seperate category for material Borg finds objectionable. Can we put this up for a vote Mike?

Last edited by UtahDan; 02-14-2007 at 05:11 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Reading some of the "religion" posts the past few weeks, I think there needs to be a split in the religion catagory.

Catagory #1) "Religion"
- dealing with normal topics of gospel related questions, discussions;

Catagory #2) "Philosophies of Men, Mingled with Scripture"
- dealing with contrived reasoning, in depth analysis over the multiple meaning of some word, current philosphies of learned human behavior.
Now this is funny. It's too bad the "intellectuals" won't be able to swallow this....
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #20
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default ?

Quote:

The topic sub-title says "All things LDS and not."

Questioning GAs is verboten? Yet my Mormon friends are quick to point out that there is no doctrine saying GA's are perfect (on mention of some dubious statement by current or past GAs).

I'm still not clear on the sub-division because it seems to me what you are really suggesting is a "testimony safe" region for members, still in the milk-suckling stage, who's LDS testimonies might be shaken and another where all people (members and non) can discuss freely anything about religion or philosophy. I contend that the testimony-safe region already exists, its called the religion category on "cougarboard.com" and probably several other LDS-only message boards.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote