cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "The Spirit has been present here today."

Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.
I've considered this before as well. Hopefully, few will consider themselves lesser people because they failed to feel the spirit.

Personally (and I know I'm unusual in many respects), if I don't feel the spirit when someone else claims to have, I assume I either didn't have the capability of feeling it or that the spirit didn't need to make itself known to me.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm not sure what the difference is. If you say you felt the Spirit, it is obvious you are implying that that Spirit has been here.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is. If you say you felt the Spirit, it is obvious you are implying that that Spirit has been here.
Yes, I suspected some people would feel the two statements are synonymous.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually agree with you Mike.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Especially if it's followed with, "and I see it standing right next to Johnny."

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

They shouldn't feel they can't get it. They should realize they are screwing up in ways their peers who felt the spirit aren't. They need to rededicate themselves and find out how they are screwing up.

Telling somone you didn't feel the spirit is a cop out and could hurt someone elses testimony. There is an old saying, "fake it until you make it."
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Consider this

To keep it simple, lets just take Sacrament meetings. I think it's fair to say (for believing LDS) that the Spirit will always be present in a Sacrament meeting. He has been invited, a sacred ordinance is taking place, absolutely He would be there.

This does not mean that everybody present will feel it. I think there are 3 reasons this could be the case, in no particular order.

1. Lack or worthiness. Although I think this is MUCH less prevalent than some would have you believe.

2. Lack of preparedness. If you're not receptive to it (stressed out distracted, surfing the net, etc.) your'e not going to feel it.

3. Lack of need. I think spiritual manifestations occur on an "as needed" basis. Perhaps you don't need strenghtening right now. You're on the right course, doing the right things, and/or it's just a time when He wants you to figure it out on your own.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, I suspected some people would feel the two statements are synonymous.
In fairness, the two statements are synonymous.

The one is certainly more empathetic to those who may not have felt the spirit.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Well done, Mike. This is actually a very subtle and deft effort to gerenate a 2,000 hit, 15 page thread. But I think I'll pass on this one. I'm going to let that tantalyzing lure go flashing on through and not strike.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote