cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

By the way...before I get hammered for that last comment--no, I don't think Pres Monson is racist. Any more than I'm racist, anyway. I have to admit, I have a little soft spot in my heart for white guys in the NBA.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He should have added that Kyle Korver looks like he needs a visit to the barber.
His mother obviously isn't one "who knows".
Old 03-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road
Default Nice try........

at recovery Er, pretty weak sauce if you ask me.

I thought the "racism" badge went down in the late 70's for the church, or are you referring to the fact that none of the current 12 are black?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
at recovery Er, pretty weak sauce if you ask me.

I thought the "racism" badge went down in the late 70's for the church, or are you referring to the fact that none of the current 12 are black?
Which is why I said "historically racist". No, I don't think any of the current church leadership is overtly racist.

However, I think we're all a little subconsciously racist, in that we identify with others like us. Hence, my comment about white players in the NBA.

How else do you account for having the Korver and Harpring as your favorite players? Hard workers? Deron Williams is probably the hardest worker on the team. Good guys? From what I can tell, Boozer is a great stand-up guy. They're two all-stars. How can they not be your favorite players?

Again, I love President Monson. If I could be half the man he is, I'll be satisfied. There is no doubt in my mind that he loves people of all races equally. I'm simply pointing out the tendency of everyone to identify a little with people of their own race. It's why I loved Stockton and Bird a little more than they probably deserved.

Oh...and yes, I do think past church leaders have been overtly racist.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Poor, poor exie. Does it really bother you that much that the wealthiest Mormon is a Ute fan?
I highly doubt that's the reason ex doesn't like him. He likes plenty of other utes like your current football coach.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #16
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
What a bunch of interesting faces. This photo is begging for thought bubbles, especially the redheaded transvestite.

Too funny. Before I read your comment I saw the picture and thought "whoa why is Pres. Monson sitting near that tranny?!?!"
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Which is why I said "historically racist". No, I don't think any of the current church leadership is overtly racist.

However, I think we're all a little subconsciously racist, in that we identify with others like us. Hence, my comment about white players in the NBA.

How else do you account for having the Korver and Harpring as your favorite players? Hard workers? Deron Williams is probably the hardest worker on the team. Good guys? From what I can tell, Boozer is a great stand-up guy. They're two all-stars. How can they not be your favorite players?

Again, I love President Monson. If I could be half the man he is, I'll be satisfied. There is no doubt in my mind that he loves people of all races equally. I'm simply pointing out the tendency of everyone to identify a little with people of their own race. It's why I loved Stockton and Bird a little more than they probably deserved.

Oh...and yes, I do think past church leaders have been overtly racist.
Boozer and Wiliams both had 30+ points that game. They were both awesome.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Boozer and Wiliams both had 30+ points that game. They were both awesome.
Yes they were awesome. When Williams had 22 about 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter, I started to think he was going to drop 50 on the Clippers.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote