cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default "God doesn't care about football"

Questions for those (believers) who say God doesn't care about BYU football.

Does God care about the MoTab Choir? Does God want the MoTab Choir to be successful? i.e. be a great choir that grabs the spotlight

Does God want LDS media advertising to be successful? i.e. quality production that impresses people

Does God want LDS to become successful in the areas of sports, entertainment, art, business so they shine their light before wide audience, bringing attention to LDS church?

Does God want the missionary effort to be effective, maximizing impact of budget $ and time of volunteers?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Questions for those (believers) who say God doesn't care about BYU football.

Does God care about the MoTab Choir? Does God want the MoTab Choir to be successful? i.e. be a great choir that grabs the spotlight

Does God want LDS media advertising to be successful? i.e. quality production that impresses people

Does God want LDS to become successful in the areas of sports, entertainment, art, business so they shine their light before wide audience, bringing attention to LDS church?

Does God want the missionary effort to be effective, maximizing impact of budget $ and time of volunteers?
I will accept your leading hypos as legitimate if you can explain why God placed us in a crappy conference, with a crappy TV deal, and why we are never competing for a national title. Why do we usually struggle to get 8 - 9 wins and why do we have to scrimp for respect and acknowledgement?

MoTab gets run in and out of the Church because they are good....every season. They tour the world and have great exposure, as far as choirs go. In fact, they are arguably one of the Top 3 most well known Choirs in the world (outside of Vienna Boys and maybe The House of Blues Gospel Brunch on Sunday mornings....)

I believe God cares WAY more about Notre Dame football than BYU football. How many people know about Touchdown Jesus, the Grotto, and pre-game mass vs how many people know a single thing about the Savior by watching our games (4:18 notwithstanding)?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
jay santos

fuegote, i'd like to hear you take a shot at it.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
Good call. I don't know there's any way to answer this question without getting into a fight about very subjective perceptions.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree with Santos that claiming God intervenes in football games is the reductio ad absurdum of Mormon theology. This is what drives Mormon Utes crazy, consciously ro subconsciously. Finally Santos and I agree on something.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree with Santos that claiming God intervenes in football games is the reductio ad absurdum of Mormon theology. This is what drives Mormon Utes crazy, consciously ro subconsciously. Finally Santos and I agree on something.
I think you mean DDD, not Santos.

Change your avatar and we can start hanging out now.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
I knew you would agree. I'd like to point out that your blame is not specific to Mormons. Yours is a condemnation to religion in general. You would say the same to Evangelicals, Catholics, Moslems, Jews, or any other religion that believed they were the true church of God.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think you mean DDD, not Santos.

Change your avatar and we can start hanging out now.
I meant to say Santos because his "logic" in his original post flows seamlessly from believing in the kinds of things he listed in his original post which most Mormons take for granted. The fact is, if you choose to believe in things Mormons accept you might as well profess belief in God intervining in the outcome of football games because those beliefs are all of a piece.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I meant to say Santos because his "logic" in his original post flows seamlessly from believing in the kinds of things he listed in his original post which most Mormons take for granted. The fact is, if you choose to believe in things Mormons accept you might as well profess belief in God intervining in the outcome of football games because those beliefs are all of a piece.
So I guess you arent going to change the avatar, then?