cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I figured there would be at least one person who might like my absurdly geeky statistical analysis of BYU football posts.

I look forward to more of your football posts. I've been kind of lazy last couple years with my geek statistical analysis stuff.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just spotted this thread. I don't know where the poll is, but I want to make it known I would have voted yes on devil incarnate.

However, I do believe there must needs be opposition in all things. So my vote is actually a vote of support for SU.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can be an asswipe when I choose.
A new signature quote, perhaps?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #24
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
No, I really do like SU. Actually, I really do like virtually everyone on the board (that's why I stick around). I like having Tex around too (Tex has always been respectful and thoughtful when I have discussed things with him). The one person that really bugged me was Aaron S (although my guess is he is a wonderful family man, but his zealotary has made him completely and utterly annoying on this board). All of the discussions when he was around were a complete waste of time.

And Jay you are actually the reason I started posting on cougarguard. I used to read cougarboard years ago before you received the Full Santos and when I noticed that you were posting here I figured there would be at least one person who might like my absurdly geeky statistical analysis of BYU football posts.
Get a room already
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:12 AM   #25
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No. Hence the brackets.
Hmm. That's awfully irresponsible of you, SU.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Hmm. That's awfully irresponsible of you, SU.
I would have thought that anyone who commented in response to my thread would at least read the non-apologetic article, which was linked right to thread. It's right in there. Moreover, I'm shocked you even had to ask, not comprehending the brackets convention. I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth at BYU.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #27
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I would have thought that anyone who commented in response to my thread would at least read the non-apologetic article, which was linked right to thread. It's right in there. Moreover, I'm shocked you even had to ask, not comprehending the brackets convention. I'm not sure you're getting your money's worth at BYU.
Think of it as cross-examination. Not only did I get the answer to my question, I got you to admit you inserted your own words to dramatically affect the meaning of the quotation-- then, once caught with your pants down, you try to make up for it by calling me stupid. One can only imagine the effect such dishonesty and childish reactions have on your already diminished credibility when it comes to discussing anything you don't already agree with.

Falling so easily into such a predicament makes me wonder if you got your money's worth at whatever law school you slept through.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Think of it as cross-examination. Not only did I get the answer to my question, I got you to admit you inserted your own words to dramatically affect the meaning of the quotation-- then, once caught with your pants down, you try to make up for it by calling me stupid. One can only imagine the effect such dishonesty and childish reactions have on your already diminished credibility when it comes to discussing anything you don't already agree with.

Falling so easily into such a predicament makes me wonder if you got your money's worth at whatever law school you slept through.
That would be Georgetown.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 AM   #29
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That would be Georgetown.
Which makes SU all the more interesting a character. Clearly, a very capable mind, yet utterly unable to function with any utility if the topic of Mormonism comes up. It's not so much that he's blinded by his own anger as it is he believes he is so smart that he can make the truth be whatever he wants it to be.

SU is the kind of person Socrates would have had on his list of people to interview when he was searching for the world's wisest man, and somebody like SU probably made him realize why the oracle was correct in proclaiming Socrates the wisest person in the world-- because nobody else realizes how ignorant they are.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #30
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Enjoy getting off on you own perceived cleverness. I'm thinking of the little fat bald William Shawn character in the Princess Bride. The truth is that to any knowledgeable person I explicitly flagged "ambiguous" was my own editorial comment with the brackets. Had you read the article before yapping you would have both learned something about the brackets convention and seen that ambiguous is a fair characterization, since clearly he believes JS did not see Christ, angels or gold books. Thus, his statement that JS had an "encounter with God" is at best ambiguous, at worst a disingenuous sop to his Mormon family and friends.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote