cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
SU, you're a good man.
Interestingly enough, Indy tried to establish a consensus here that I am Lucifer incarnate and I bet he was quite suprised by the results of his poll expressing agrement with your statement. I think Waters and maybe BDB and Tex must have been the only ones in addition to Indy who voted that SU is evil.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

That poll was so over the top that it should have been patently clear I wasn't trying to establish you as Lucifer incarnate.

That poll was highlighting the nonsensical polls you crank out on a regular basis in which none of the options could possibly accurately reflect the views (as divergent as they are on this site) of most of the prospective respondents.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

This irony is as delicious as tooblue claiming to be a postmodernist. I love irony. There's no better means to truth.
I am mostly labled as such, and true to form I am willing to play the role you have cast for me. The desire to frame a person in context to a category is the craft of lawyers. The abstract is feared, it doesn't fit, it corrupts; and therefore it must be dismatled and shelved.

It's all a game SU, and you play it as well as any one. Again, you summarily dismiss self-discovery and sincere trial-by-faith conviction.

You have found what you are looking for, and once again it will sooth your festering wounds ... for a time.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Indy tried to establish a consensus here that I am Lucifer incarnate and I bet he was quite suprised by the results of his poll expressing agrement with your statement. I think Waters and maybe BDB and Tex must have been the only ones in addition to Indy who voted that SU is evil.
I didn't vote.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
The FARMS article reviewing Palmer's An Insider's View of Mormon Origins talks about something called "New Mormon History," apparently a movement within the LDS church among active Mormons (seemingly populated by former members of the CES) attempting to give an empirical perspective of Mormon origins, ineluctably debunking stories about gold plates, angels and visitations from Christ, yet purporting to retain a seed of belief in Joseph experiencing "an [ambiguous] encounter with God" (as Palmer puts it), and purporting to avoid polemics pro- or anti-Mormon. Is this true? FARMS says The New Mormon History is just anti-Mormonism by a new name, like creationism dressed up as "intelligent design" (my analogy not theirs). Comments?
Is "ambiguous" Palmer's word?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Is "ambiguous" Palmer's word?
No. Hence the brackets.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pelagius is just being the proper Christian he is. Arch kisses your butt for some reason. Everyone else appears to have you pegged pretty well.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Pelagius is just being the proper Christian he is. Arch kisses your butt for some reason. Everyone else appears to have you pegged pretty well.
I actually like him, even if I disagree with him. Does that mean I have to be an asswipe to everyone I disagree with?

I like some of what you write as well. Generally I like people, and I can be an asswipe when I choose. Nonetheless I like people and culture, even our strange, somewhat repressive LDS culture. Thus in my eclectic way, I grab a little of what I wish from everywhere.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
I wonder how a vote on Jay Santos would turn out.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I really do like SU. Actually, I really do like virtually everyone on the board (that's why I stick around). I like having Tex around too (Tex has always been respectful and thoughtful when I have discussed things with him). The one person that really bugged me was Aaron S (although my guess is he is a wonderful family man, but his zealotary has made him completely and utterly annoying on this board). All of the discussions when he was around were a complete waste of time.

And Jay you are actually the reason I started posting on cougarguard. I used to read cougarboard years ago before you received the Full Santos and when I noticed that you were posting here I figured there would be at least one person who might like my absurdly geeky statistical analysis of BYU football posts.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote