cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default (2) Activity of your spouse

Would you acquiesce if your spouse started spending 3-4 hours every Sunday at a Church in which you did not believe, taking your kids there for indoctrination or (if you have young ones) leaving you saddled with them alone while she did this, and then regularly took 10% of your community owned income and gave it to such church? Would this cause marital discord? Be grounds for divorce?

(NOTE: I've never had this problem. It's a hypothetical.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Would you acquiesce if your spouse started spending 3-4 hours every Sunday at a Church in which you did not believe, taking your kids there for indoctrination or (if you have young ones) leaving you saddled with them alone while she did this, and then regularly took 10% of your community owned income and gave it to such church? Would this cause marital discord? Be grounds for divorce?

havenot you taken a vow to stand beside her in worst??
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
havenot you taken a vow to stand beside her in worst??
Clearly Americans don't really believe this. Half of us have been divorced and you can do it without giving an explanation.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Flash occasionally complains that I waste gas driving the kids to our weekly indoctrination meetings.

However, seeing as how the kids are with me and he's free to go to his own church (Perhaps you've heard of the Starbucks Cathedral?), I don't see how he has much room for complaint.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would be happy that my children were receiving spiritual guidance while I was out playing golf. She could give ten percent of her income since I wouldn't see it any way.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Clearly Americans don't really believe this. Half of us have been divorced and you can do it without giving an explanation.
really? i always have thought this is the best part of your wedding!
since in islam we dont make such a promise officially.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
really? i always have thought this is the best part of your wedding!
since in islam we dont make such a promise officially.
The best part of islam marriage is that you don't have to worry about your husband divorcing you. The worst part is that he cuts off your head if you attempt to convert to another religion, taking your kids to church all day Sunday, and paying 10% of your husband's income for tithing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It's cute that you look to a bunch of ignorant Mormons for validation of your life.

But on the serious side, no one can judge in these situations. I could say that I would be tolerant of my spouse in this situation, and I believe I would but I don't know what life would look like after years or months of this. Over time it's very possible that the situation and the inevitable other differences that would stem from the change in beliefs would become so frustrating and divisive that divorce could become inevitable.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The best part of islam marriage is that you don't have to worry about your husband divorcing you. The worst part is that he cuts off your head if you attempt to convert to another religion, taking your kids to church all day Sunday, and paying 10% of your husband's income for tithing.
wow!! thanks for enlightening me. Wasn't it you who i met at Heathrow airport wearing burka coming back from pakistan ???

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 09-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I would be happy that my children were receiving spiritual guidance while I was out playing golf. She could give ten percent of her income since I wouldn't see it any way.
It's not a full tithe uless she's paying 10% on your income, or at least have of it. It's literally community property in most states, and effectively such in the rest. If she divorced you she'd claim and probably get at least half your assets.

—Paul Auster