cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default A calling

This is a bit tangential to the original question Arch asked, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

What is a "calling" anyway? And is there a difference among the callings from HT to Apostle etc. I think I grew up believing that somehow the Lord spoke to his leaders for each calling, and chose them all--from nursery worker to librarian and on. "Calling" as a word seems to connote that sense.

As I've gotten older and more skeptical, frankly I've started referring to my own "callings" as "jobs." Some would say my current "calling" is Activities Committee Chair." I would say my current job at church is ward party planner. My language about it makes no difference to me in how well I will do the job or how seriously I take it. I plan to do my best, and they asked me to do it for whatever reason. Fine, but I don't particularly labor under the impression that the Lord chose me for this work. The Bishop asked me to do it, I agreed, and it needs to be done.

Does this reflect waning faith on my part? Is it just me? Would it make a difference if I saw it differently?

And what about scriptures like D & C 4:3, ("Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are acalled to the work") which taken by itself seems to suggest that the Lord just wants people who are willing to do whatever needs to be done. How is what's being discussed in scriptures like that different from what "callings" are formally given in our congregations and at General Conference?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote