cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
πειρασμὸς

has both meanings, trial or to temptation. It's used twice in this scripture. However the second time it's used as a aorist infinitive.

So Pelagius, I agree with you. Let AA or Solon contradict me.

That sounds about right to me. Peirasmos means trial or temptation, and is a derivative of the word peiradzo, which means to try or tempt. Liddell and Scott give two other interesting points: in the present active participle form, ho peiradzon, the subject of the verb is "the tempter"; and in the passive form, it is "to be sorely tempted, to be tempted to sin."

The word "anthropinos" is interesting. It means "belonging to man," or "pertaining to mankind," or something along those lines, just like the word "spiritual" would mean "pertaining to matters with which the spirit is concerned," but we can't use the word "manly," since there are so many other connotations involved. I'm going to try to use the phrase "pertaining to the human condition" to try to get the sense of the word.

I might translate the passage as follows:

"No temptation [or trial] has gotten a hold of you except for the kind which pertains to the human condition; but God is trustworthy [pistos: faithful, reliable, trustworthy], who will not allow you to be tried beyond what you are capable of, but rather, along with the trial, he will also make a way out [ekbasis: escape, way out] in order that you might endure it [hupenegkein: from hupofero, endure, bear]."
Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
That sounds about right to me. Peirasmos means trial or temptation, and is a derivative of the word peiradzo, which means to try or tempt. Liddell and Scott give two other interesting points: in the present active participle form, ho peiradzon, the subject of the verb is "the tempter"; and in the passive form, it is "to be sorely tempted, to be tempted to sin."

The word "anthropinos" is interesting. It means "belonging to man," or "pertaining to mankind," or something along those lines, just like the word "spiritual" would mean "pertaining to matters with which the spirit is concerned," but we can't use the word "manly," since there are so many other connotations involved. I'm going to try to use the phrase "pertaining to the human condition" to try to get the sense of the word.

I might translate the passage as follows:

"No temptation [or trial] has gotten a hold of you except for the kind which pertains to the human condition; but God is trustworthy [pistos: faithful, reliable, trustworthy], who will not allow you to be tried beyond what you are capable of, but rather, along with the trial, he will also make a way out [ekbasis: escape, way out] in order that you might endure it [hupenegkein: from hupofero, endure, bear]."
I've been trying to pronounce this word smoothly and it just doesn't flow.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've been trying to pronounce this word smoothly and it just doesn't flow.
Hoop 'n Egg Kin.