cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I will definitely try the Italian Sausage Sub. I've been impressed with the Pork Loin and Meatball, but I'm always game to try something new. In fact, maybe I'll eat there for lunch tomorrow.
Look for the white board when you come in as I don't think Italian Sausage is a sub that is always on the menu.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I'm easily satisfied. I've tried traditional dishes, regional dishes, and just haven't been happy.

In the Cinque Terre I've had a decent pesto dish but nothing like a pesto sauce you'd have at Paradise Bakery.
Easily satisfied but haven't had a decent meal in Italy after an entire month?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I love American Italian food. I can't think of anything better than Olive Oil or Balsamic Vinegar as far as food enhancement is concerned. I love, absolutely love Caputo's. The salads are so full of flavor explosion it's almost orgasmic. The fusion of tastes is incredible.
So you love everything smothered in bad sauce?

As far as your comment about loving olive oil as a food enhancement, this leads me to question what part of Italy you've visited, as that is all they use over there.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Italian cuisine. In general, the food in Italy - especially pasta dishes - is so superior to what can be found here. There are a good number of quality restaurants in New York, a few in Chicago and in other major cities there are a few as well, but they are the ones that serve authentic dishes.

I enjoy the sandwiches from Caputo's but have yet to eat anything else they serve. I'll give it a try and report back.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A little off-topic, but maybe Il Pad can enlighten me about something. I've heard it's blasphemous to grate parmesan on any seafood pasta dish. Is that true?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've enjoyed the hams and cheeses I've had on hard rolls in corner delis. I enjoy Toast, but I haven't enjoyed a sit down pasta meal.

On my last trip I asked for suggestions from multiple different sources, consulted various books, decided on a restaurant, and upon arrival of the first pasta dish I almost puked. I had some great Octupus, but was extremely disappointed otherwise.

I have asked multiple people, and am not the only one who feels this way about cuisine in the boot country.
its quite tempting for me to imagine how wonderful time you had there during your stay . but there is still something sparking in my mind "you were too informed and too expectant " of italian food and places that you couldnot find them gratifying enough!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
A little off-topic, but maybe Il Pad can enlighten me about something. I've heard it's blasphemous to grate parmesan on any seafood pasta dish. Is that true?
In Sicily and the toe and heel it is but I can't say for certain in the rest of Italy.

The reason?

Because they think you would be using the cheese to cover up the flavor of the seafood.

Italians believe that the food itself is what makes it worth eating.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 07-01-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Can I ask why you don't like Italian food? What is it that you don't find delicious?

The time spent on my mission has made me something of an Italian food snob. I've only found one place in Salt Lake that I would say is authentic; everything else has been "Americanized" by excessive amounts of sauce or ingredients.
I'm curious which place in Salt Lake that is if you don't mind sharing.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #18
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
In Sicily and the toe and heel it is but I can't say for certain in the rest of Italy.

The reason?

Because they think you would be using the cheese to cover up the flavor of the seafood.

Italians believe that the food itself is what makes it worth eating.
Just spent the evening with family members who spent a month in Europe, with ten of those days in Italy. All said the same thing, Italian food sucks, and this has been the resounding opinion of those I talk with that have spent time in Italy. Initially I thought I was crazy, because Italian food to me has strong flavors, fused with great tasting oils and vinegars, but too many people say the same thing.

Now those I've talked to who served missions there seem to love and defend the food and always tell me I have eaten at the wrong places. I just can't seem to have found a solid meal that I would recommend to another.

For those here on the board who might end up in Italy, avoid restaurants, eat gelato, eat sandwiches in corner delis and save your money for food in France.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #19
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bravo, fusnik.

One of your better trolling efforts.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm curious which place in Salt Lake that is if you don't mind sharing.
It is named Fresco. It's a little place on 1500 E and about 1500 S on the east side of the street. The sign is hard to notice because it is small and is partially covered by ivy and there is a little archway you need to walk through to get to the restaurant. It's best to make reservations and cost for my wife and I is about $50-60.

Give it a try and I hope you enjoy it.