cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which style of fois gras do you prefer?
The pate style French fois gras 9 42.86%
The sliced organ U.S. style fois gas 2 9.52%
Neither, I don't eat fierce food 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
LOL! The Seattle Ute response to the Crunchy v. Creamy Peanut Butter debate is to ask if one prefer's the French or US style of fois gras.

I have only had fois gras in the US, so I vote American! Next time you're in the midwest, check out the way they do it in Chicago. It's cheap and really contributes to the enjoyment of your meal.
Chicago banned the sale of it

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ippery_sl.html

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #12
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I would tell your friend to stick to gift certificates to expensive spas. Those poor little duckies. I have always thought that the French make some of the best and worst foods in the world. Foie gras is definitely one of the worst. Blech! But I am also not a fan of stinky cheese either.
Well, I think I've found a worthy cause to donate my foie gras. I'm sure someone in the food bank will appreciate it. Plus, you get a free burrito
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/22/735689
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I've eaten the stuff here and in France, and hated it in both countries. Of course, I'm not riproaring drunk when I try to eat it.

OTOH, I'm not too fond of eating sh.. either, so perhaps my lack of affinity for fecal matters disqualifies me from liking fois gras.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've eaten the stuff here and in France, and hated it in both countries. Of course, I'm not riproaring drunk when I try to eat it.

OTOH, I'm not too fond of eating sh.. either, so perhaps my lack of affinity for fecal matters disqualifies me from liking fois gras.
In this thread you've ripped the world's two greatest cuisines--French and Chinese. You need to reflect, my friend.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In this thread you've ripped the world's two greatest cuisines--French and Chinese. You need to reflect, my friend.
I'm plenty happy with French food, and Chinese I love more than anything.

However, liver paste is still liver paste no matter what language articulates it.

Chinese make some wonderful dishes, and I've enjoyed some exotic ones. However, we have to start with a basic meat or fish that's edible and that one should want to eat. If you've looked at the liver, you'd not be so fond of eating it. And that goes for brain as well. Just because somebody can make something barely edible, doesn't mean they should.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

When I had fois gras (the American style as SU defined it - not the pate), it seemed pretty much like I was just eating fat sauteed in butter. I'm a big-spicy-bold-flavor type of guy (thus my fondness for Thai and Vietnamese cuisine) and fois gras just doesn't have enough flavor for me. I'll try the pate if I'm ever in France but I have no interest in eating the American style fois gras again.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm plenty happy with French food, and Chinese I love more than anything.

However, liver paste is still liver paste no matter what language articulates it.
Yeah, whatever.

In any case, if we ever dine together at a French restaurant, just pass the fois gras to me.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yeah, whatever.

In any case, if we ever dine together at a French restaurant, just pass the fois gras to me.
Do you ever eat French in Utah? I've been to La Caille, the Paris Bistro and a place in Park City that currently escapes me. I enjoyed all of the places, just wondering if you've found any place better.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

First I Find out that I get dragged to ballet's just like SU and now I find that I agree with him about foie gras. If I ever start complaining that Fawn Brodie was born too early, somebody please slap me.

I have always found the French version of foie gras to be very, very good. IF you don't like it, you probably haven't had it.

As to the goose or duck involved, I guess it's not too good for them, but a trip down I-5 in California with a view of the realtively humane stockyards near the Coalinga exit (Harris Ranch) where hundreds of cows stand in the hot sun in piles of their own exfrement day after day until slaughtered for fine dining, shows that the whole carnivore thing never goes well for the prey.

Lebowski, I iwll arm wrestle you for Archaea's share.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Do you ever eat French in Utah? I've been to La Caille, the Paris Bistro and a place in Park City that currently escapes me. I enjoyed all of the places, just wondering if you've found any place better.
Good french food is tough to get in Utah. I've been to La Caille and loved it, but it sure is expensive. I've had fois gras at Log Haven.