cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Homemade BBQ sauce

I am excited that grilling season is upon us. We enjoy BBQ sauce but I am getting bored with the standard brands at the grocery store. Anyone ever try making their own sauce? I am guessing it can't be too difficult.

I really like the mustard bbq sauce at Lon's Cooking Shack. That is not something you can buy at the store (not that I have seen anyway).
Old 04-21-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am excited that grilling season is upon us. We enjoy BBQ sauce but I am getting bored with the standard brands at the grocery store. Anyone ever try making their own sauce? I am guessing it can't be too difficult.

I really like the mustard bbq sauce at Lon's Cooking Shack. That is not something you can buy at the store (not that I have seen anyway).
It's easy. The basic ingredients are ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and worchestershire sauce. I'm sure there are a zillion recipes on the Internet. I'd look at those for ideas and relative quantities and then inovate your own. It's rustic food.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-22-2007 at 04:04 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road
Default I've done it a couple of times

I've tried my hand at homemade bbq sauce before. Basically I put all the ingredients together and let it simmer all day on the stove or in a crock pot.
I didn't really use any measurements just sort of winged it. But here are the ingredients I used:
tomato paste/puree, vinegar, molasses/honey (depending on how sweet you want it), olive oil, liquid smoke, chopped onions, crushed garlic, chopped red pepper, chili powder, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, brown sugar (if you want it sweet), worchestershire sauce. I think thats all. I just let it cook for a long time and it tasted pretty good.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default how much kick did your sauce have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
I've tried my hand at homemade bbq sauce before. Basically I put all the ingredients together and let it simmer all day on the stove or in a crock pot.
I didn't really use any measurements just sort of winged it. But here are the ingredients I used:
tomato paste/puree, vinegar, molasses/honey (depending on how sweet you want it), olive oil, liquid smoke, chopped onions, crushed garlic, chopped red pepper, chili powder, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, brown sugar (if you want it sweet), worchestershire sauce. I think thats all. I just let it cook for a long time and it tasted pretty good.
i like the spicy stuff

Last edited by Frank Ryan; 06-04-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

I was making it for a group diner so it wasn't too bad, I defiantly could have made it more spicy.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote