cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shvarts Performance Art Project

Intellectually speaking, what basis does a libertarian have to object to Shvarts' "performance art"?

Quote:
In his statement, Storr emphasized that the University “has a profound commitment to freedom of expression” and that he, personally, supports the legality of abortion.
“That said, Yale does not encourage or condone projects that would involve unknown health risks to the student,” Storr said. “Nor does it believe that open discourse and inquiry can exist in an educational and creative community when an individual exercises these rights but evades full intellectual accountability for the strong response he or she may provoke.”
http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24579

Is Yale objecting to the project on the basis that it's not popular?

So so long as offensive speech is popular, you can do it?

Seattle Ute is one of our chief proponents of libertarianism, as am I. However, I find her display morally repugnant, but I'm trying to assess on what basis I find it repugnant and what a university such as Yale should do about it. Any other libertarians have comment?

Last edited by Archaea; 04-21-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote