cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My family was in town over New Year's, and we had our annual sashimi/sushi dinner at our home. I had heard about a Japanese grocery store that had excellent fresh fish (30 miles away, but not too bad) so we stocked up on tuna, mackerel, yellowtail, and salmon. They also had great barbecued eel. Coming from Portland, OR, my parents experienced a little bit of sticker shock at the prices, but it still came out much cheaper than it would have cost to feed 7 adults at a sushi restaurant.

We made some veggie makizushi, but otherwise, everyone took squares of nori, filled them with as much or as little sushi rice and sashimi as they liked, and it was delicious.

Marsupial, I'll send you some wasabi peas to tide you over until that baby is born.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
My family was in town over New Year's, and we had our annual sashimi/sushi dinner at our home. I had heard about a Japanese grocery store that had excellent fresh fish (30 miles away, but not too bad) so we stocked up on tuna, mackerel, yellowtail, and salmon. They also had great barbecued eel. Coming from Portland, OR, my parents experienced a little bit of sticker shock at the prices, but it still came out much cheaper than it would have cost to feed 7 adults at a sushi restaurant.

We made some veggie makizushi, but otherwise, everyone took squares of nori, filled them with as much or as little sushi rice and sashimi as they liked, and it was delicious.

Marsupial, I'll send you some wasabi peas to tide you over until that baby is born.
I usually don't care too much for salmon sashimi, but this was an exception. The salmon was excellent.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #33
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Sushi in a landlocked area....yum.
Exactly. You haven't lived 'til you've visited Oklahoma and tried catfish sushi.

Two words: bottom feeder.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Ah yes. Te-maki zushi. That's how we do it at home.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Sushi in a landlocked area....yum.
So you think the tuna sashimi you eat in LA is caught at the end of the dock?

http://atypicaljoe.com/index.php?/si...s_global_good/
Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So you think the tuna sashimi you eat in LA is caught at the end of the dock?

http://atypicaljoe.com/index.php?/si...s_global_good/
The blog seems to pointing out that japanese are importing their fish and that sushi adapts to local ingredients.

Not sure I understand the weblink as it pertains to the question.

Or are you the gay New Yorker living in the South? I thought you were married?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The blog seems to pointing out that japanese are importing their fish and that sushi adapts to local ingredients.

Not sure I understand the weblink as it pertains to the question.

Or are you the gay New Yorker living in the South? I thought you were married?
The point is that your sushi in LA may be no fresher than my sushi in Dallas, given that both have major airports (where the tuna is picked up).
Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The point is that your sushi in LA may be no fresher than my sushi in Dallas, given that both have major airports (where the tuna is picked up).
You do not speak little gay New Yorker very fluently.

The little gay New Yorker guy only speaks to buying fish in Japan. He makes no mention of fishing in other parts of the world.

Also, he doesnt say that other seaports are not doing their own fishing. Did i miss something? Is there a portion of the article that hints at the notion that Southern California has stopped fishing?

The only thing the article suggests is that Japan has overfished its tuna and now imports it from all over.

I will concede blue bell ice cream, which is obviously superior in every sense. But you dont go to landlocked areas for better fish. Even little gay new yorkers know that.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #39
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
You do not speak little gay New Yorker very fluently.

The little gay New Yorker guy only speaks to buying fish in Japan. He makes no mention of fishing in other parts of the world.

Also, he doesnt say that other seaports are not doing their own fishing. Did i miss something? Is there a portion of the article that hints at the notion that Southern California has stopped fishing?

The only thing the article suggests is that Japan has overfished its tuna and now imports it from all over.

I will concede blue bell ice cream, which is obviously superior in every sense. But you dont go to landlocked areas for better fish. Even little gay new yorkers know that.
When I went to the after party for the Espy awards they served some sushi. Mostly just rolls, but there were also pieces of raw tuna there. Some basketball player behind me in line didn't know what it was, and asked me. When I told him he looked completely repulsed, and was appalled that I had actually put two pieces of it on my plate. It was really good Tuna.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #40
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Ichiban and Takashi are the best two sushi places in Utah.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote