cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #31
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Claim Jumpers is a good one. Their fresh baked Idaho is great. A giant stuffed potato with all the trimmings.
I went to a Claim Jumper for the first time on Friday in Sacramento. Great place.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Never heard of Baja Fresh. I will have to watch for it.

Yes, Benihana's is good. But not so much for the teppanyaki. That's an americanized thing that you would never see in Japan. But their sushi bars are usually quite good.
I think of teppanyaki as the same as yakiniku which I was served several times in Japan.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think of teppanyaki as the same as yakiniku which I was served several times in Japan.
Yes, that's probably the closest match. But it's still quite a bit different. We cook yakiniku quite a bit at our house. It is a popular food in the Kansai region where I served my mission. The type of meat and how it is marinated is different. As are the sauces. But the biggest difference is the whole "show" concept with the chef doing the fancy stuff with the knives. I never saw anything like that in Japan.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teppanyaki. And I don't care that much that it's not "authentic". But I find the sauces they typically use to be pretty bland. I would take yakiniku any day.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #34
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I can't think of a single chain restaurant that I would pay to eat at. Now, if someone is taking me out and insists on a chain, well, I never pass up a free meal.

The worsts are:
Cracker Barrel (actually, I would pass up a free meal here)
Applebees

This is fast food, but as far as burgers go, I really like Back Yard Burgers. They are based in Memphis and have spread throughout the southeast. I even saw one in Dallas.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I can't think of a single chain restaurant that I would pay to eat at. Now, if someone is taking me out and insists on a chain, well, I never pass up a free meal.

The worsts are:
Cracker Barrel (actually, I would pass up a free meal here)
Applebees

This is fast food, but as far as burgers go, I really like Back Yard Burgers. They are based in Memphis and have spread throughout the southeast. I even saw one in Dallas.
Good luck in Mississippi. That is one place where the local restaurants are worse than the chains. There are exceptions, but not too many.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Good luck in Mississippi. That is one place where the local restaurants are worse than the chains. There are exceptions, but not too many.
That surprises me. I've always thought of the South as having a lot of good hometown food.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That surprises me. I've always thought of the South as having a lot of good hometown food.
Well, if you consider boiled vegetables and deep-fried everything to be good food, you would probably like it.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #38
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorites. They have one in Elk Grove here, and a few others, but I think it is nation-wide. Delicious steak.

Outback is just awful.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #39
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We haven't eaten out yet. I imagine you're right. I don't like most Southern food, however, Memphis BBQ grew on me after four years of taking whomever visited us out to eat it.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Never heard of Baja Fresh. I will have to watch for it.

Yes, Benihana's is good. But not so much for the teppanyaki. That's an americanized thing that you would never see in Japan. But their sushi bars are usually quite good.
Baja Fresh is pretty good. They opened up a few places in Utah, used to be right next to the Buca Di Beppo in Midvale and I believe they were in Bountiful and Layton as well, but after 1-2 years they all closed down here. Otherwise they're in most other states.