cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Priesthood commemoration

What a joke.....

So they change the name from Father/Son campout to Priesthood commemeration so folks like myself (2 daughters, 0 sons) have no excuse not to attend.

I haven't gone on a campout since I was 13 years old. My father pawned me off on our scoutmaster to take me to the F/S campout. (My dad just sat at home on the couch all weekend) Soured me on scouts and I went inactive shortly after that.

Well...present day. I have been in a YM presidency for about 9 years running now. I have skipped this thing every year. I was going to go last year but I had graduation from a JC that night.

Now I am the YM Pres. and the Bishop has let me know that my attendance is mandatory.

I don't work 52 weeks a year to pretend I am homeless for the weekend.

I am not a fan of authority and don't like being (forced) into doing something I don't want to.

We are doing it on a Stake level this year and they have tasked me with planning and cooking the breakfast for Saturday morning. They asked me to plan on 300 people. I have a crew of 10 together to do that, but I am not happy this morning....
Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I haven't gone on a campout since I was 13 years old. My father pawned me off on our scoutmaster to take me to the F/S campout. (My dad just sat at home on the couch all weekend) Soured me on scouts and I went inactive shortly after that.
That explains whatever the axe to your head doesn't.

But as you said, at least you have excuses for being an asshole.

And in response to your actual post, man up. Honestly, sleeping one night in a tent is only a hardship if you're a complete wimp.

And the whole "forcing" you to do something you don't want to do? Lame. Put your foot down and see what happens. No one's making you do anything.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
The_Tick

You are a complete jackass.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

I think you'd be surprised about what my family, friends, and acquaintances would have to say about me.

I'm only like this when the situation warrants it.

That hardly makes me a "complete jackass."

But if it makes you feel better, feel free to label me any way you want.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
The_Tick

I find it hard to believe that your family and friends would find your online persona acceptable.

You can ask those that know me (LiveCoug) I am exactly the same person online that I am in person. I am gruff and have my own opinion. I don't have to act like billy badass on a computer and admit that it is an "act".

But since you are perfect and live in a glass house who knows.

And when you grow up and have some children this is what I hope you find out....

1. If you have only daughters the church has nothing setup for you to do with them whatsoever.

2. If you only have daughters you feel out of place at any type of campout.

And so you know...and I am sure you do because you live in Utah and I am an infidel living in California (you know, in the "world" or "mission field") no matter what they change the name to from "Father and Son campout" to "Priesthood commemoration" it is still the same thing. If you have no sons you are like a fish on dry land. Nothing to do, nothing to enjoy. That simple.

I would like to see the church plan something that I can take my daughters out to do, like a campout. But no way that will happen. They are afraid I might abuse one of my girls. Like I couldn't do that at home if that is what I did.

But we know that in the history of the church no father has ever done something improper with thier son. Ever.

Last edited by The_Tick; 05-15-2006 at 06:07 PM.
The_Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
You can ask those that know me (LiveCoug) I am exactly the same person online that I am in person. I am gruff and have my own opinion. I don't have to act like billy badass on a computer and admit that it is an "act".
I'm not an act. If I run across people I don't like in real life, I don't treat them any different than I treat people I dislike online.

Quote:
1. If you have only daughters the church has nothing setup for you to do with them whatsoever.
Why is this a problem? Is it the church's responsibility to make sure you have a way to spend time with your daughters? I don't get it.

Quote:
I would like to see the church plan something that I can take my daughters out to do, like a campout.
I've seen "Daddy-daughter" nights organized by wards before. Maybe you should take the initiative and see if you can't get something organized. You are "the church".

Quote:
But no way that will happen. They are afraid I might abuse one of my girls. Like I couldn't do that at home if that is what I did.
Has someone come out and told you this?

Oh, and one more thing, I don't live in Utah.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Lingo, why all of the negative energy? Don't you get tired of it after a while? Serious question.

You made your point months ago. Your stamina on this board is amazing.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Lingo, why all of the negative energy? Don't you get tired of it after a while? Serious question.
Good question.

I think a lot of the reason I stick around is because I perceive this board to be a big "whine about the church and brag about how smart we are" community.

The "liberal mormon" mentality bugs me a lot.

Quote:
You made your point months ago.
Interesting... I wasn't aware that I'm out here to make one big point, but what do you perceive that to be?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
The_Tick

In 10 years of being a father (my daughter is 14) I have been to exactly "1" father daughter event. I am 1/1 on events that have been offered.

Now... over your lifetime how many events have you been on with your father that was sponsored by the church? I would bet everything I own that the opportunities have been more than 1.

You don't have children so you can't understand where I am coming from.

And it isn't like I don't spend sufficient time with my kids. I have coached my oldest daughter in soccer for 9 years now. My youngest for 4. With practices and games that is 5 days a weeks we spend quite a few hours each week. I would venture that I spend more time with my kids than 75% of the people I know.

And having sat through PEC hundreds of time over the last few years I can tell you that the church would "NEVER" allow father son campout. I have been told this by Bishops and by several Stake Presidents.

The reasons given....

1. It would appear inapropriate.

2. Fear of abuse.

Like I would bring it up here if I hadn't asked someone about it in real life. No need for me to pull a rabbit out of my hat here online.

I am amused that you have a "dislike" for me. I haven't even posted a picture of you with a jar of vasoline on the internet. I have seen it but never thought about using it.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
The_Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
The "liberal mormon" mentality bugs me a lot.
What is the mentality that bugs you? We may have a breakthrough here...