cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what size pack to buy?

I'm talking about cubic centimeters.

Should I get the extended trip size 5000cc+ (which I would rarely use) or something a little less than that, like in the 3500-4200cc range?

I went to REI. They are too pricey. I think I will buy off the web. Fit be damned.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've got an internal frame pack with about 4500. I think 4500-5000+ is a must if you plan to do any backpacking or extended stays.

Have you checked Campmors? You can usually get good deals on fairly high quality stuff.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I'm talking about cubic centimeters.

Should I get the extended trip size 5000cc+ (which I would rarely use) or something a little less than that, like in the 3500-4200cc range?

I went to REI. They are too pricey. I think I will buy off the web. Fit be damned.
Depends on what you are planning to do, how you are planning to use it, how often you plan on using it...

Pack size is of super importance post what your uses, frequency, wants, are and I'll lead you to the appropriate pack on the internet.

I hate REI fyi....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'll mainly be using it on weekend scouting campouts. Maybe at most 5mile hikes on those campouts.

There is a chance I'll be doing a 70 miler next summer. I won't have to pack in all the food and water that I'll use (there are waystations). It would be a two week hike.

Given that Farrah is expecting, I don't expect to do any immediate family hardcore hiking/camping in the near future. But you never know.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, congrats on that, Waters family.

Also try Sierra Trading Post for some sweet deals.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

you could also try Outdoor Outlet

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/index.php

I would recommend a big pack. over 4500. If it is comfortable it won't matter if you are carrying less than capacity, then you will have it available for the long trips.

and REI is way too expensive
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats to both of you on the pending child. We have 3 with a 4th due May 20th. When is Farrah expecting?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr
congrats to both of you on the pending child. We have 3 with a 4th due May 20th. When is Farrah expecting?
thanks everyone. end of sept.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

This is one of those fields in which I have a vast base of useless knowledge. Years of gear geekery and brand snobbery all for the purpose of being able to act like a know-it-all when people ask these kinds of questions.

Here we go...
IMHO you should look for a cheap external frame pack around 4500 cm.

Size (cm):
If you're going on a 3 - 5 day outing you should be able to get away with a 4500 (or a 5800 if you're a pack horse). If you're looking at an overnight trip < 5 - 10 miles 4500 should be more than enough. If you can't fit your stuff in a 4500, you're carrying too much stuff. I do 7+ day trips on in a 4500 but I'm kind of a minimalist.

Size (frame):
Internal frame packs are very size specific. You really need to try the pack on or you could end up very unhappy. External frame packs are usually very adjustable (this is the main reason why I'd go external if I were you).

Style:
Remember that your size requirements will change if you go with an external frame (your sleeping bag goes on the outside). Some like external frames because they are lighter and cheaper. As far as lighter goes, they're right, less fabric = less weight. Cheaper depends on where you shop. If you're not going to get serious about backpacking, an external frame should be fine. All my packs are internal frame but that has more to do with the kind of backpacking I do (canyoneering, alpine climbing, etc...). Some people like the weather/element protection of an internal frame but a poncho, garbage bag or (if you're into appearances) pack cover will fix that problem.

Brand:
For your purposes, brand is not a concern. The only time you really need to worry about brand name is if you plan to use the crap out of it and feel you may have to depend on the mfg. to repair/guarantee things.

If I were you I'd look at some of this kind of stuff http://www.backcountryedge.com/produ...ame_packs.aspx
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

How about something like this?

http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/c...?modelid=69795

Mountainsmith Circuit. 5370 cubin inches.

Lifetime warranty. Cheap.