cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
YardTime

YardTime
Default Fly fishing

I love to fly fish but I haven't done a ton of it. My skill level would probably be somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I moved here to Utah just a little over a year ago and I don't know the good fishing spots. Can anyone suggest a good place to go fly fishing? I hear the Provo river is actually pretty decent. True?
YardTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The Provo is a great place to fish. I particularly like the upper Provo near the Jordanelle dam. Lots of people like the mid-Provo farther down the canyon. The trouble is that it can be crowded in both places.

The Weber is a good place as well. I like to fish it just outside of Morgan as you enter the canyon on eastbound I-84. Get off the first ranch exit and try any of the tributaries there along as well.

Both of the above suggestions are for good day trips.

If you really want some good fishing, take a weekend - or better yet, a week - and fish the Green River near Dutch John. Great fishing and not nearly the number of people there as on the Provo or Weber.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I have recently gotten addicted to this.

I am going to be moving to Utah next summer and looking for fishing buddies.

Check out my blog for some California action this weekend.

These fish were all wild, in a protected C&R section with barbless hooks.

I am wearing the Ugly Stick hat with a BYU shirt underneath the waders. 13 incher baby....

http://cncbranson.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardTime
I love to fly fish but I haven't done a ton of it. My skill level would probably be somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I moved here to Utah just a little over a year ago and I don't know the good fishing spots. Can anyone suggest a good place to go fly fishing? I hear the Provo river is actually pretty decent. True?
The Provo might very well be the best river to learn in the world. It truly has some great fishing, some open areas, and easy accessibility....

The Weber is fun, the Ogden is a nice river to fish, many of the resevoirs have good fly fishing...

It all depends on what you are looking for. If I am looking for a good time by myself, I head up to Morgan where I can fish without the sound of cars, people, etc...

If I want a nice fun day with my dad and brothers, we head to different sections of the provo, both above Deer Creek, and below....

If I want a nice quick fish, I'll drive 5 minutes to the Ogden...

It's a lot about what you want. Utah is a great place to fish.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #5
shobeewan

shobeewan is on a distinguished road
Default I love the smaller streams

I live in central Utah, and the small streams down here are just a ton of fun. You will not catch anything that is huge, but you will catch fish all day long, with no crowds. Little streams make you a better caster in my opinion and you can improve technique and you have to be more creative in how you get the flies to the targeted pocket. It seems that down here everybody just goes straight to the lakes and forgets about the streams, although I love hitting Duck Fork Res and the tigers there, fun fish to catch and getting bigger every year. I need to learn how to fish the bigger streams with a fly rod. I have had a lot of success on the Provo bouncing nimphs on the bottom with a spinning rod, but never have caught anything with a fly rod. So if anyone wants to get together to be a teacher I would love to be a student of the Provo.
My parents are building a cabin up near Strawberry, so I will be closer to the Green also. I think I will be spending quite a bit more time up there.
One last thing, do you guys tie your own flies, if so we should get together and do some tying also.
shobeewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardTime
The Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam is rated one of the top five or ten spots in the world. Go with a guide and you'll catch fish all day floating it. Meanwhile, the scenery is worth the trip by itself. This stretch of the Colorado has an interesting history told on plaques near theriver. It used to be swift, warm and muddy, and only suitable for cat fish and certainly not trout. With the dam the river became slow, cold and clear because the water now exits the dam at the lowest part of it where the temperature is low, and tightly controlled. Lo and behold, it became great fly fishing water.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote