cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home video from 9/11

I don't know if this has been out forever and I just didn't see it, but this is footage taken from a 36th floor apartment near the towers. Pretty interesting video, especially after the second tower falls (around the 19th minute).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15552903&hl=en
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

That really is sobering. I was about as far away as you could get when it happened being in Chile, but at the same time, it made it so real. I can't imagine how it would have been to be right there and filming it so up close.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

On that day I was a missionary at Ole Miss. I had no idea anything was going on until we got to our 10am appointment, and by then, both towers had collapsed.

Since missionary rules frown upon watching the news and reading newspapers, I saw very limited media of the events from that day. All I can say after watching that now, is.... wow. I watched those firemen pull up and thought, they are going to be dead in a half hour.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
On that day I was a missionary at Ole Miss. I had no idea anything was going on until we got to our 10am appointment, and by then, both towers had collapsed.

Since missionary rules frown upon watching the news and reading newspapers, I saw very limited media of the events from that day. All I can say after watching that now, is.... wow. I watched those firemen pull up and thought, they are going to be dead in a half hour.
We were studying in our apartment, and the family that lived below us knew that we were American missionaries, so when it happened they turned the TV on English CNN as loud as it would go so we could hear. We didn't care and went down and watched it for an hour or so, which was right after the second tower was hit. We had a district meeting, and our mission president had decided that we needed to stay in our apartments that day (Sept 11 is a violent day in Chilean history as it was the day the Communist gov. was overthrown and it wasn't uncommon to see protests or other violent acts), so we watched CNN pretty much all day.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

When that second tower falls and all that heavy smoke starts moving towards her apartment I was able to imagine much better what it must have been like to have been that close. What a frightening moment, wondering if you'll be able to breathe as it closes in.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a cousin who lives in Manhattan and worked in the North Tower. Her office was on one of the 20s floors. She was at her desk when the airliner hit the building. She told us that the power went out so she exited the building via the stairs. Nobody had any idea what had happened.

Fortunately, she was able to walk to safety before either tower collapsed. She told me that for her, the most unnerving sound for her was not the collapsing of the towers, but the sound of the 2nd liner just before it hit the South Tower. You just don't hear jets while on the street in Manhattan.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I'll never forget that day. I think for our generation this will be the "I remember where I was when JFK got shot" moment.

I had early morning recitation for a chem class at the Y. I remember turning on the TV to check the weather before heading to school. The first plane had just hit the tower. I was in shock. I debated whether or not to go to class. I finally went and arrived late to class and broke the news to my class. Nobody got too excited about it so I left the class as the empty room across the hall had a TV on. I watched the towers collapse live and ran back into class to tell them that the WTC just fell and that the Pentagon had been attacked as well. Then about half the class got up and followed me to the TV.

I was trying to get a hold of my family in VA all morning and the lines were all busy. My father at the time was a member of the FBI's HRT and CIRG units so I assumed he was in the thick of it all. I called my aunt in Idaho to see if she had heard from my family. She's our contact in emergencies since most times people can call out but can't call in. No word from anyone.

I'll never forget that Tuesday gathered in the Marriott Center and saying the Pledge of Allegiance. In all honesty I never felt more patriotic in my life than in that moment in that basketball arena reciting the pledge with what seemed like the entire BYU student body. It gave me chills just thinking about it.

I'll also never forget flying into DC just a few weeks later and driving past the Pentagon in silence with my sister as I saw the gaping hole and the enormous American flag draped down it's walls.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default It was extremely surreal for me

I had an assignment to serve in the temple that day from 6AM until 2PM. After it happened, people coming in talked about it a bit and such ... but it was not really clear to me until I got to the car and got my phone and talked to my wife.

I went into the temple living in one world ... walked out into a different one. Bizarre.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote