cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On replacement cleats

My old speedplay cleats were over 2 years old. They had needed to be replaced for about 6-7 months, but I was loathe to spend the 40 bucks the new cleats cost. After one of the springs broke, I had no choice, Picked up my new pair yesterday. Changed the right cleat no problem and then found that I had worn down the left cleat so far that the heads of the attaching screws were almost smooth and no longer had any surface for a screwdriver to grip. I had to use a cutting wheel on my dremel to get the sill things off. Finally putting the new cleat on I rode to work this morning. Ahhhh, new cleats, very nice. I deduced that the reason the left cleat was so much more worn is because when I stop at a light or a stop sign I always pop my left foot out of the cleat to put down for balance while leaving my right foot in the pedal. Over a couple of years, that difference adds up to a lot more wear and tear.

Speedplays are fabulous. They feel great. The cleats do wear out, however, and are overpriced, but even so I like them enough to be worth it.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My old speedplay cleats were over 2 years old. They had needed to be replaced for about 6-7 months, but I was loathe to spend the 40 bucks the new cleats cost. After one of the springs broke, I had no choice, Picked up my new pair yesterday. Changed the right cleat no problem and then found that I had worn down the left cleat so far that the heads of the attaching screws were almost smooth and no longer had any surface for a screwdriver to grip. I had to use a cutting wheel on my dremel to get the sill things off. Finally putting the new cleat on I rode to work this morning. Ahhhh, new cleats, very nice. I deduced that the reason the left cleat was so much more worn is because when I stop at a light or a stop sign I always pop my left foot out of the cleat to put down for balance while leaving my right foot in the pedal. Over a couple of years, that difference adds up to a lot more wear and tear.

Speedplays are fabulous. They feel great. The cleats do wear out, however, and are overpriced, but even so I like them enough to be worth it.
I replace them so infrequently I occasionally get them on backwards. I tend to have the cleats lose screws now and then. This is beginning only my fifth year cycling. Wow, a lot of miles after four years, 30,000 miles. Am I still a newby by your standards oh mighty Creekster?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been cycling longer than Arch? Had non idea. Me is probably August 2002.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've been cycling longer than Arch? Had non idea. Me is probably August 2002.
Started May 2004. However, I have a bit of obsessive compulsive tendencies when I start things.

So you're more experienced. Thus you can pull my ass up the Lotoja hill.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think you are probably 10x stronger than me, esp. since I have been on the bike twice this season.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I will have to look at the speedplays. I went with Look KeO carbons and I have already been through 2 pairs of the synthetic cleats they use. They get chewed up really fast.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I liked my generic Looks. Speedplays now are ok.