cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default Fezzari bikes??

Lets just say that I could possibly get one of these bikes http://www.fezzari.com/catania.htm for a very good price. Think it is worth the shot?

Keep in mind that I have never even owned a road bike and the only one that I have ridden in the past year is a 1973 Motobacane (borrowed it from a friend for some tris). The components seem good, if not adequate for someone with my limited riding experience. I just want to somewhat keep up with anyone on the bike legs. Plus I am on a budget. I am looking for sponsers though.

If I could get this from between $600 and $700, should I go for it?

costco has it for $950. Costco
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney
Lets just say that I could possibly get one of these bikes http://www.fezzari.com/catania.htm for a very good price. Think it is worth the shot?

Keep in mind that I have never even owned a road bike and the only one that I have ridden in the past year is a 1973 Motobacane (borrowed it from a friend for some tris). The components seem good, if not adequate for someone with my limited riding experience. I just want to somewhat keep up with anyone on the bike legs. Plus I am on a budget. I am looking for sponsers though.

If I could get this from between $600 and $700, should I go for it?

costco has it for $950. Costco
Not familiar with the particular make of Bike, but the model is the same name as my mission.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Not familiar with the particular make of Bike, but the model is the same name as my mission.
Well that is reason enough for me. I'm doing it.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney
Well that is enough reason for me. I'm doing it.
Nice!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also in the market for a new bike...how can you get this bike for around $600-$700?

I've seen them at Costco before...and I'm not too familiar with this brand of bike. What do you know about it?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this interesting response on a bike forum. Sounds like these bikes could be taken seriously...and if you can get it at the price you stated.....hmmmm. Now, if you could just get that bike in "blue & white" instead of "red & white".

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-123076.html

teton explorer

I've researched this brand, the components, and the company in great detail over the last few weeks. I accessed all the information on the company available at the Secretary of State's office in Utah (where it is based). I've also talked with company officials on the phone. The company is very legit. It is about a year old and was started by a couple of guys with lots of experience working for several of the "big name" bike companies. Its growing rapidly, and its sales have been much higher than expected.

The componentry on the road bike (Catania) is as good as, and in some respects better than, other bikes in its class. They didn't cut corners on any of the components, like some of the "big names" do. The frame is almost identical to that of the Specialized Allez - same geometry, high quality aluminum, carbon front fork, and very solid welds. And the bike is very light . . about 17 pounds.

I tried to find fault with the company and the bike because I started my bike shopping with the attitude that I had to buy a bike built by one of the "big names." I couldn't find any fault, and couldn't justfy spending $500 more to buy a bike that wasn't any better, and in some ways wasn't as good. As a result, I'm buying a Fezzari this week instead of a Specialized, Trek or Cannondale (and a few other brands I considered).

As far as service goes, any reputable bike shop can work on this bike without any problems.

For those of you who say buy one of the "big name" bikes without researching the product, a big name doesn't always mean a superior product. Research the product and the company instead of blowing it off because you haven't heard of it. Trek and Specialized have spent loads of money to run "cute" adds during the Tour de France, but don't buy their marketing without researching the product.

If you want to talk to someone at the company, they were very willing to answer all my questions. Go to the website - www.fezzari.com.

P.S. No, I'm not an employee, just a very impressed consumer.

Last edited by The Borg; 08-25-2006 at 01:09 PM.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
bigpiney

bigpiney

That is interesting thanks. I am leaning towards it.

I happen to know the next door neighbor of the owner of the company, and he was able to get that deal for himself. I am hoping that it can be exteded to me as well. He and his wife have the bike and they both love it.