cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Race, I mean "Ride" report from the Gap.

Old men shouldn't race against young men in the mountains.

After long contemplation I have determined I'm not a climber. Really Sherlock what was my first clue?

After four months of no bike racing and no group rides I headed to Parowan to race a four stage, turned three, I opted out of the TT.

First stage a mild but hard raced 50 miler. I started in pain and about 30 miles inexplicably had a power outage. No matter I cruised on in eleven minutes behind the pack.

Second stage crit. No warm up and it showed but after the second half it felt good.

Third mountain stage. Ouch. I was lost on the first climb, left to ride next fifty miles alone. Well I certainly putzed it around but noted to self, no more mountain races until I get this mountain climbing figured out.

One fifteen year old kid from Evanston weighed 80 pounds, less than half what I weigh.

Back to the drawing boards. Well I got my three starts to upgrade to four.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Despite showing I am no racer, I sent in my starts, and they gratuitously upgraded me from a novice Cat 5 racer to a novice, stinking Cat 4 racer. There is a reason why cat 4/5s are graded together, most of us suck.