cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
on sale right now for fifty bucks.
Great Lectures = $50

or

Bus Ride = $1
Library Card = $0.00
1000s of years of free quality literature = Priceless

These days I can't buy a stick of gum w/o a hall pass from the Mrs. I'm all about the public library this summer.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #12
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Great Lectures = $50

or

Bus Ride = $1
Library Card = $0.00
1000s of years of free quality literature = Priceless

These days I can't buy a stick of gum w/o a hall pass from the Mrs. I'm all about the public library this summer.
Then see if they have these lectures on tape or CD at your local library. You could also get them via interlibrary loan. The Teaching Company's university lectures are widely considered (according to my Yale philosopher pal) to be the best product of this sort on the market. Many libraries have them, but they are usually pretty popular.

Worth the wait. Get on your library's waiting list and toss them into the mix of your summer brain stimulation. You won't regret it. And as for the $50, that is a bargain when you consider the cost of a single credit hour at BYU, or the cost of books and materials for a single class, or even the cost of auditing a class for no credit at a local community college, these lectures are by far the least expensive way to get a college-level education in a particular field.

Hope your library has them!

R.F.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Summertime reading = mindless fun.

I'd suggest the complete Calvin and Hobbs collection.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #14
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Summertime reading = mindless fun.

I'd suggest the complete Calvin and Hobbs collection.
Well I 2nd the Calvin and Hobbes collection, but I don't know what library is going to offer it... pick up some of the other anthologies. The complete collection is a beast of a book.

Since you aren't interested in buying any of the Great Lectures, you should check out their free downloads section:

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/Davincicode.asp

They are piggybacking on the Davinci code stuff right now, but I think the subject might interest some people here.

Sorry to sound like a spokesperson for the company, but free is a good price, and the lectures are awesome.

R.F.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Since you are going to be an evil lawyer, you should read Bleak House by Charles Dickens. He will tell you how evil you are going to be. You can't go wrong with Dickens, though I don't think he is a big fan of lawyers. His storylines and characters are wonderfull.

My favorite Dickens is probably David Copperfield, you could also try that.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it depends on what mood someone is in. One of the great books that I read in High School and still think it is a difficult to read (in terms of the cruelty and sadness) is Harriet Beecher Stowes' book, 'Uncle Toms Cabin.' Its long but worth it.

As has been suggested, 'The Cather in the Rye' and 'Catch 22' are both fabulous.

If you just want mindless fiction fun, there are several spy/mystery writers that I truly enjoy: Harlan Coben, David Baldacci, Dennis Lehane, David Rosenfelt and Stephen Frey among them.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney
Since you are going to be an evil lawyer, you should read Bleak House by Charles Dickens. He will tell you how evil you are going to be. You can't go wrong with Dickens, though I don't think he is a big fan of lawyers. His storylines and characters are wonderfull.

My favorite Dickens is probably David Copperfield, you could also try that.
I have avoided this thread becasue it is hard to choose. I can echo some of the comments here, however. Any Dickens is good; Copperfield is especially good. Les Miserables is one of the great books ever, IMO, and should be read in the unabridged version. The Brothers Karamazov is also a great work, as is Anna Karenina. If you are tlaking classical literature (which I think is what you asked for, as opposed to simply good books) you must include at least one great Russian Pyschological novel such as these.