cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I got pissed off in GD class this week

The lesson was going along fine until someone tries to make a point on unrighteous behavior by comparing Utah Mormons to the rest of The Church.

Utah Mormons = complacency = unrighteousness

The guy (who has held many Stake positions) was serious; it was no FM troll job. I express my disillusionment to my wife and get a lecture on not getting offended. That was nice.

This is a common theme that I've heard throughout my experience outside of Utah (from the pulpit, in the halls, from instructors). WTF is this all about?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

IMO, having lived both inside & outside Utah, there are an awful lot of LDS who seem to be making outwardly-apparant righteousness a competition sport. For example, the number of women who try to one-up each other in terms of theirs or their kid's perfection.

I don't think it's unique to Utah, but the sheer proximity of members here lends to the illusion of it being more rampant than elsewhere.

At least, that's my opinion of why there's an anti-utah-mormon sentiment in the 'outside church'.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The lesson was going along fine until someone tries to make a point on unrighteous behavior by comparing Utah Mormons to the rest of The Church.

The guy (who has held many Stake positions) was serious; it was no FM troll job. I express my disillusionment to my wife and get a lecture on not getting offended. That was nice.

This is a common theme that I've heard throughout my experience outside of Utah (from the pulpit, in the halls, from instructors). WTF is this all about?
I hear this all the time so I don't doubt it goes on, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

It has to do with the culture you come from, not your religion. However, the Utah culture has to be the closest to real "mormon" culture doesn't it because of the numbers.

A lot I think has to do with "outsiders" thinking Utah is backwards. Duh, why is it considered backwards. Outside of Utah mormons gain their superiority complex because of their association with the hip "non-mormons" in their culture.

It might be why BYU is has become an elitist, entitlement stronghold for a group of students who have never sat on a toilet long enough to realize "their shit stinks".

Please tell me the knot heads that pulled the Golds Gym stunt were not from Utah. I would use that as my source of evidence that Utah mormons represent reality, the elitists members outside of Utah want to look down on someone like their neighbors look down on them.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think I know the answer to this. People who have lived both in and out of Utah make unfair comparisons between the Mormons in each place because outside of Utah you get a skewed view of the local LDS community. In Utah, you see the whole range of LDS because they all live in your neighborhood. That includes the best to the worst.

Outside of Utah you encounter basically those LDS who are at church and engaged at a high level. The lower ends of the spectrum are invisible and you might not ever even meet them.

I think this leads to an apples and oranges comparison.

Second, there are things about LDS culture that are distasteful that are amplified in Utah because of the sheer numbers. I think this also contributes to a dim, but unfair, view of the Utah saints.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:

Idiots are idiots regardless of where they are from. If that same guy were born and raised in Utah, he would be the type who looks down on outsiders / those not of pioneer heritage.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I grew up being taught this myself. Then I moved to Utah and realized it's easy to tell how complacent a Mormon is when they are your neighbor, your coworker, etc. You see them all the time and know more about their daily activities. Out here in the "mission field" (as Mormons outside Utah love calling it) you don't often see your ward members or other Mormons outside of church so you don't really know how complacent they really are. I for one am just as complacent here in Mississippi as I was in Utah.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I grew up being taught this myself. Then I moved to Utah and realized it's easy to tell how complacent a Mormon is when they are your neighbor, your coworker, etc. You see them all the time and know more about their daily activities. Out here in the "mission field" (as Mormons outside Utah love calling it) you don't often see your ward members or other Mormons outside of church so you don't really know how complacent they really are. I for one am just as complacent here in Mississippi as I was in Utah.
And then there's the 'mission field' members claiming their superior involvement in their wards/branches..."I have four callings, and spend half my week at the church."

It's normal human behavior to compare yourself to others, and even more normal to look for things about them that show your superiority.

For example, I can look at Adam's posts and point out how I'm not as insane as he is. I can also point to exutes posts and point out how I'm not quite that big an idiot.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default The one generalization that I think is somewhat accurate

is that there are more casual LDS or those who are active outwardly due to peer/family pressure, etc. in Utah than most places.

Here it woudl be much easier on my kids, dealing with neighbors, etc. if we WEREN'T Mormon in a lot of ways. I suspect the opposite is true in Utah.

Not a bash in any way ... just an observation.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The damage from Elder Bednar's "Don't take offense" talk is the tendency to now interpret any indignation, even just indignation, as "taking offense."

Some things reasonably deserve objection.

Perhaps your wife was offended by your taking offense?

You get the point.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Having grown up in Utah I fully understand its unique weirdness, so I don't get too offended by green jello jokes. It's this perception that people their are less righteous (I even heard this in France). That people feel comfortable saying something so offensive at church amazes me.

I laugh out loud at people that use their four years at BYU as a basis for talking about "what Utah is like."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote