cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Buster Olney said Holliday is a 1 year rental. If the As are in contention this year and he bolts at the end of the season, Oakland gets 2 compensatory 1st round picks this year which in baseball are becoming more and more important. If they are not in contention they trade him at the deadline and he is 2009s CC Sabathia in terms of the biggest player dealt and Oakland gets prospects in return.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Buster Olney said Holliday is a 1 year rental. If the As are in contention this year and he bolts at the end of the season, Oakland gets 2 compensatory 1st round picks this year which in baseball are becoming more and more important. If they are not in contention they trade him at the deadline and he is 2009s CC Sabathia in terms of the biggest player dealt and Oakland gets prospects in return.
The more I think about this move the more this move makes sense. It isn't like the A's are going to get stuck without anything for him, even if he is a one year rental. The team needs to improve to help move the stadium situation forward. I think Beane realizes that the Angels are not really a 100 win team and that they can be caught this year with the right moves.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
The more I think about this move the more this move makes sense. It isn't like the A's are going to get stuck without anything for him, even if he is a one year rental. The team needs to improve to help move the stadium situation forward. I think Beane realizes that the Angels are not really a 100 win team and that they can be caught this year with the right moves.
Yeah as details of the trade emerge I am liking it more and more. We get immediate help (even if in the short term) and can restock for the future at the same time. That Beane is great mind.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote