cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #21
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
well... they were going to tell the parents that she should consider transferring. My point was church leaders should mind their own business
what was the context? Why were they going to say something to the parents? Was this just an effort to keep the family active in the church?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
hopefully god doesn't punish me so...
You are a Ute football fan, God uses the evil to punish the evil...or something like that.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the thing was that I wasn't digging on byu. I was pointing out that her education at Michigan is going to be far better than byu. Her family and herself knows what best for her. If they said we should send tell her to go to Utah I still would have said they were stupid. I don't want the bishop to say anything to her.
You got me at free and near Dad.

I understand Michigan has some great grad programs and given the money involved, it probably has some good undergrad programs, but isn't Michigan really distinguishable based on its undergraduate program?

People say that all the time, "Michigan is better than Utah," as if it's a foregone conclusion. Isn't academic ranking more based on a program by program basis?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #24
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Yesterday in PEC we were talking about a family that was baptized 3 years ago and is still going strong except for the father has some serious medical conditions. Anyway their daughter is going to the University of Michigan (on a band scholarship). When our high counselor hears this he says "She should go to byu it would be a better place for her"

No one says anything for a couple of minutes (like that should be recommendation) so I responded:

"are you kidding??? go for free to one of the top universities in the nation or go to byu? Additionally, U of M has a great singles ward and institute. Not to mention she is only 60 miles away if her father has more difficulties."

Then other people turned this on me like I'm a bad person and byu hater because I called him in on his idiocy.

arrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhh
Perhaps the message would not have been so ill received if you hadn't thrown in the little dig about BYU. Perhaps something like:

"She's able to attend one of the top universities in the nation for free. She's only 60 miles away if her father has more difficulties. Additionally, U of M has a great singles ward and institute. Why would you ask her to give that up? With the circumstance being what they are, I don't feel that it's entirely appropriate to suggest that she would be better off elsewhere."

I just don't see why there was a need to make any kind of editorial comments about the merits of a BYU education in the discussion, and I would have been annoyed with you if I'd heard you make that remark too.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #25
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You got me at free and near Dad.

I understand Michigan has some great grad programs and given the money involved, it probably has some good undergrad programs, but isn't Michigan really distinguishable based on its undergraduate program?

People say that all the time, "Michigan is better than Utah," as if it's a foregone conclusion. Isn't academic ranking more based on a program by program basis?
Michigan is in the top 3 of public universities (yes that includes undergrad). Is there a reasonable person who would say that byu undergrad is better than Michigan undergrad... geez you people are killing me
Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Perhaps the message would not have been so ill received if you hadn't thrown in the little dig about BYU. Perhaps something like:

"She's able to attend one of the top universities in the nation for free. She's only 60 miles away if her father has more difficulties. Additionally, U of M has a great singles ward and institute. Why would you ask her to give that up? With the circumstance being what they are, I don't feel that it's entirely appropriate to suggest that she would be better off elsewhere."

I just don't see why there was a need to make any kind of editorial comments about the merits of a BYU education in the discussion, and I would have been annoyed with you if I'd heard you make that remark too.
Actually probably a better way to have sold some very valid points.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #27
Mormon Red Death

Quote:

I hope they are annoyed. maybe they will push to have me released. I would love my sunday mornings back
Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
I hope they are annoyed. maybe they will push to have me released. I would love my sunday mornings back
If your goal is to show up every Sunday morning and irritate everyone, perhaps you would be doing yourself and everyone else a favor to just request to be released.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
what was the context? Why were they going to say something to the parents? Was this just an effort to keep the family active in the church?
they thought it would be a better situation for the girl... The family is plenty active. They are a convert family that as soon as they were baptized everyone thought they had been members their whole lives. IMO they don't see the benefits of going to Michigan. Her job offers are going to be better when she graduates. If she chooses to go to Grad school she is definitely better off going to michigan. To be honest I was flabbergasted that they even suggested it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
If your goal is to show up every Sunday morning and irritate everyone, perhaps you would be doing yourself and everyone else a favor to just request to be released.
If being the only one to have common sense is "irritating" perhaps its better I am in the meetings