cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Way to go Cali and Tex, you brought this thread to five star status. This is priceless on so many levels.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As soon as I see these words, I know what follows will be warped.

I never gave an opinion on whether the Spirit spoke literal words or otherwise. I simply found your conclusion (that Nephi made up his own mind, with a subsequent spiritual confirmation) interesting given that Nephi makes the opposite clear (in my mind).

He details three different divine communications, two of which he at first resisted and the third to which he concedes. How one gets from that to Nephi drawing his own conclusion, esp. when based on English grammar, is puzzling to me.
I don't even know why I bother with you. It isn't even possible to have an honest conversation. I made a wise crack about grammar, which you have now turned into the entire focus of the thread, and when I point out how silly your position appears to be, you (as you always do) then retreat and argue that you never really had a position to begin with, despite the fact that you seem to find fault with any position other than the position which you claim to not be taking.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't even know why I bother with you.
Because you love to?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #54
SeattleUte

Quote:
I don't even know why I bother with you. It isn't even possible to have an honest conversation. I made a wise crack about grammar, which you have now turned into the entire focus of the thread, and when I point out how silly your position appears to be, you (as you always do) then retreat and argue that you never really had a position to begin with, despite the fact that you seem to find fault with any position other than the position which you claim to not be taking.
Packer's cyborg for you. People start to intimate that Nephi/Laban isn't history but allegegory but still divine or some such thing and tex automatically gets a signal, his receptor sounds an internal alarm, and he's all over it, upholdng orthodoxy at every turn and automatically disavowing prior positions he has taken when caught in inconsistencies without embarrasment or explanation, just continuing to hammer away. You have to understand that while robots or humanbots are capable of greater purity and consistency and far greater information download and inexhaustible argument than us humans, they are less artful and graceful in reconciling contradictory positions taken and appreciating insoluble dilemas inherent in the human condition. I think of a robot boxer hammering away endlessly with its metal and vinyl fists and blinking red eyes.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #55
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whatever.

Do you even HAVE a reason for believing Nephi didn't get a specific communication, literally spoken or otherwise, from the Spirit as he says?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Packer's cyborg for you. People start to intimate that Nephi/Laban isn't history but allegegory but still divine or some such thing and tex automatically gets a signal, his receptor sounds an internal alarm, and he's all over it, upholdng orthodoxy at every turn and automatically disavowing prior positions he has taken when caught in inconsistencies without embarrasment or explanation, just continuing to hammer away. You have to understand that while robots or humanbots are capable of greater purity and consistency and far greater information download and inexhaustible argument than us humans, they are less artful and graceful in rconciling contradictory positions taken and appreciating insoluble dilemas inherent in the human condition. I think of a robot boxer hammering away endlessly with its metal and vinyl fists.
Discussing whether Nephi/Laban is history is pointless with you. You don't believe it is. I do. We're at an absolute impasse.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-02-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Removed irrelevant bickering.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #56
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW... You guys are among the most interesting people have the most interesting thoughts I have ever read.. I obviously don't read a lot or know too many people. ha ha... You all have brought so many ideas about Nephi's quest to get the plates than I've never thought of... and you obviously think on a MUCH different level than I. I'm going to try and read in this forum more and gain some more insight in addition to my study of different things. Please don't make fun of me when I ask Kindergarten level questions. Thank you.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #57
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My favorite: . . . like unto Moroni, satan would never have no power over the hearts of the children of men. . .
How long did it take to correct this mistake?

What if they actually meant what it said?
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #58
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
So where does alegory end and factual truth begin? Is the whole trip to the Americas, clear up to the Lamanite annihilation of the Nephites, parable? What about the plates left in the hillside? Was that parable/allegory, the plates symbolizing a concept, left by someone's alter ego, the angel Moroni a symbol of something? It sounds like the makings of an interesting Sunstone article anyway.

Tex, buddy, what's your take on this?
The factual truth begins when the book is internalized and we are born again. That's the only truth that matters. Nephi/Alma/Moroni are of no use to any of us.
I don't know, nor do I care, where actual things are on the spectrum.

And yes, it is useful to wonder what things might symbolize.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #59
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
WOW... You guys are among the most interesting people have the most interesting thoughts I have ever read.. I obviously don't read a lot or know too many people. ha ha... You all have brought so many ideas about Nephi's quest to get the plates than I've never thought of... and you obviously think on a MUCH different level than I. I'm going to try and read in this forum more and gain some more insight in addition to my study of different things. Please don't make fun of me when I ask Kindergarten level questions. Thank you.
Kindergarten level questions are the best kind.
The genesis of wisdom is to admit you don't know anything, and start asking questions.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #60
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The factual truth begins when the book is internalized and we are born again. That's the only truth that matters. Nephi/Alma/Moroni are of no use to any of us.
I don't know, nor do I care, where actual things are on the spectrum.

And yes, it is useful to wonder what things might symbolize.
I'm looking at Brian's guy pooping avatar as I read this and don't know what to think. I bet in the entire wold only on CG do you get such an experience.

—Paul Auster