cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #111
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
But if they want to participate in this old-fashion custom, why don't they follow all of the established rules of said custom. Lets just say, I want to play baseball the same way they did in the 1880. Would I not only need to look the part of playing in the 1880s but follow the rules of that time period? Today's baseball game is very different than that game and just because it has the same name does not mean it is the same game. I think today most 'legal' marriages are more of a civil union that has no more power than the bind the two parties involved have for it. Today even temple marriages are breaking up at a record pace.
The custom is not old fashioned due to its overwhelming acceptance as normal behavior today. It is normal today for hetero couples to marry. They marry for many reasons, but I would wager that the overwhelming reason for marriage amongst hetero couples is that they love each other. The fact that 50% of these marriages end in divorce does not mean that their marriages are not valued and celebrated at the time that they are married.

Gay couples love each other. Society's current custom is that the normal result of love is marriage. Gays want to be married because that is what normal people that love each other do. So it comes down to 2 things. 1. gays love each other and 2. gays want to be considered normal. How is this difficult to understand?

Last edited by Flystripper; 08-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #112
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one here cynical enough to think that part of the reasons gays want to be married is so they can get the social security benefits that spouses receive when the other spouse dies?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #113
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Am I the only one here cynical enough to think that part of the reasons gays want to be married is so they can get the social security benefits that spouses receive when the other spouse dies?
Of course that is one reason. They want to be considered a spouse in every sense of the word.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #114
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why shouldn't they?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #115
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do gays not pay social security tax?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #116
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Do gays not pay social security tax?
Yes, they do. And to receive those benefits, one's spouse must die. Which is why I asked the question. I don't believe that the reason they want to get married is only to be recognized as being as "normal" as heterosexuals.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #117
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

David Melson, assistant executive director of Affirmation, said his organization publicized its proposals - which include standardized training for LDS bishops on how to counsel gay and lesbian Mormons - to cut through the "bureaucracy's inertia" and get Affirmation's message to LDS President Thomas S. Monson.
"You can't just walk in and say, 'Hi, President Monson, here we are.' "

I wonder if this was really their true reason. I mean, I am sure it is very hard to get a message up to the First Presidency, but is it so hard that they would go about getting attention publicly like this? - or just impatience? and is that impatience warranted when it is obviously difficult to jump through all the hoops to get direct and focused time and answers?
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #118
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Why shouldn't they?
I'm not saying they shouldn't receive those benefits.

I think they could get a lot more support if they listed all reasons in their argument for making gay marriage legally recognized. On the flip side, those for Prop. 8 ought to give full disclosure as well. Not wanting to pay more taxes to increase the number of those receiving spousal security benefits should be a stated reason for not wanting gay marriage legalized too.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #119
scottie

Quote:
Yes, they do. And to receive those benefits, one's spouse must die. Which is why I asked the question. I don't believe that the reason they want to get married is only to be recognized as being as "normal" as heterosexuals.
Who's saying that's the only reason? And why wouldn't they feel entitled to receive that benefit?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #120
scottie

Took me awhile to type that from my blackberry IPU, so I didn't catch your response before submitting reply.