cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default banning books for...safety?

The law passed to protect kids from potentially hazardous chemicals found in toys made overseas has been deemed to apply to kids' books as well as toys.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11541127

Unless an exemption is granted, libraries and schools will be required by law to pull all kids books and submit them for safety testing. Crazy, huh?

Gotta love the government: always looking to protect us from insidious dangers like Curious George and The Cat in the Hat (though, honestly, the Cat always seemed like a shady character to me).
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

crazy.

good thing kids don't read anymore. and now we can be comforted they will be much safer in front of their xboxes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Well, it has come to pass.

Books were not exempted from the legislation, which went into effect this week. Libraries have been granted a one-year stay in which to have all their books tested for safety.

Retail outlets of any kind are no longer allowed to distribute childrens books from before 1985. Salvation Army and Goodwill are disposing of books by the thousands, and refusing to take donations of any childrens books (because it's easier than trying to sort out which are acceptable). Used book stores will also have to dispose of their collections.

I have put together a collection of thousands of books for my son, probably 80-90 percent of which I purchased from used book stores or Goodwill and are pre-1985 (I favor these because the bindings were nicer back then).

This pisses me off SO BAD. A lot of these books are out of print and no longer available in new format. Yet we're going to burn the ones we have? What has become of us?

It was a pleasure to burn.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll take them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote