cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default It was inevitable

Last night's loss, that is. Dropping out of the BCS candidate pool is painful, but that was a great run. Seriously, it has been almost three years since we lost a conference game. How incredible is that? And during that span, we have had a bunch of close calls and road wins against decent conference teams who were gunning for us. Undefeated seasons are remarkably rare in college football. For good reason. Say what you will about coaching blunders last night, BM and company have a pretty good track record overall, IMO.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Gracias, hermano. And you are 100% correct.

"Enjoy The Ride"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Last night's loss, that is. Dropping out of the BCS candidate pool is painful, but that was a great run. Seriously, it has been almost three years since we lost a conference game. How incredible is that? And during that span, we have had a bunch of close calls and road wins against decent conference teams who were gunning for us. Undefeated seasons are remarkably rare in college football. For good reason. Say what you will about coaching blunders last night, BM and company have a pretty good track record overall, IMO.
My kids had no school on Thursday and Friday because of the state education association's annual meetings. So I took my family on one last camping trip before winter sets in, and missed the game live. A couple of other families joined us, and we had a great time visiting, viewing the fall foilage, hiking, playing games, and so forth. Got home Saturday afternoon and, after working in the yard for a couple of hours, watched the taped version of the massacre (I didn't know the end result when I started watching). Although it was painful, it was less so than I would have expected - maybe because it was only about 2 hrs of pain (fast forwarding through commercials), maybe because I felt a loss was coming.

But after moping about the house for an hour or so, wallowing in the misery of the completeness of the massacre, I came to the same conclusion as you. I would have loved to go undefeated and make it to a BCS game, saw it as a real possibility, but have all along figured we'd have a loss or two, and losing to TCU at their place isn't anything to be too ashamed of - just wish we could have scored once or twice more to make it look better.

Not much in the way of highlights - the two diving catches by the TCU receiver (Young, I believe?) were impressive, and I actually thought Howard had some pretty good coverage much of the time, but excellent throws by Dalton got by him despite good coverage.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote