cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did the OT God truly order Israel to commit mass murder?
Yes, the OT God was violent and hateful; we should follow that example. 4 21.05%
Perhaps, but we don't have the facts as they truly developed 7 36.84%
No, this is a Hebrew tradition explaining a part of history for which we have no other evidence. 7 36.84%
No, it was part of legend devised by Hebrews to scare their neighbors. 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I voted for "Yes", even though the commentary tied to that response was nonsense.
With you as a fundamental reductionist I am not surprised. jay's was a joke.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:50 AM   #42
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
With you as a fundamental reductionist I am not surprised. jay's was a joke.
I don't care if Jay's was a joke or not. I'm not exactly prone to keeping an eye on Jay to figure out how to think about something.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #43
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm not exactly prone to keeping an eye on Jay to figure out how to think about something.
There's your first mistake. You could do a lot worse than Jay Santos as a spiritual guide.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 AM   #44
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There's your first mistake. You could do a lot worse than Jay Santos as a spiritual guide.
Well, there is a venerable axiom along the lines of "there's always something worse"...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 AM   #45
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Personally, I'm a bit wary of using anyone on Cougarguard as a spiritual guide. Or Cougarboard, for that matter.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:59 AM   #46
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Personally, I'm a bit wary of using anyone on Cougarguard as a spiritual guide. Or Cougarboard, for that matter.
Utefans?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #47
Indy Coug

Quote:
Utefans?
I'm pretty sure if you use Utefans for anything, you'd best be up to date on your innoculation chart.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

1 Ne. 17:32-38

32 And after they had crossed the river Jordan he did make them mighty unto the driving out of the children of the land, yea, unto the scattering them to destruction.
33 And now, do ye suppose that the children of this land, who were in the land of promise, who were driven out by our fathers, do ye suppose that they were righteous? Behold, I say unto you, Nay.
34 Do ye suppose that our fathers would have been more choice than they if they had been righteous? I say unto you, Nay.
35 Behold, the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one; he that is righteous is favored of God. But behold, this people had rejected every word of God, and they were ripe in iniquity; and the fulness of the wrath of God was upon them; and the Lord did curse the land against them, and bless it unto our fathers; yea, he did curse it against them unto their destruction, and he did bless it unto our fathers unto their obtaining power over it.
36 Behold, the Lord hath created the earth that it should be inhabited; and he hath created his children that they should possess it.
37 And he raiseth up a righteous nation, and destroyeth the nations of the wicked.
38 And he leadeth away the righteous into precious lands, and the wicked he destroyeth, and curseth the land unto them for their sakes.

Some of the LDS cross-references include Ex 34:11 ("I drive out before thee"), Josh 11:6 ("I deliver them all up slain"), and Josh 24:8 ("I destroyed them from before you").

Gee, Archaea, it sure sounds like Nephi was ratifying the Lord's command to destroy an entire people, but I'll be interested to see if your Urim and Thummim shows differently.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
1 Ne. 17:32-38

32 And after they had crossed the river Jordan he did make them mighty unto the <b>driving out</b> of the children of the land, yea, unto the scattering them to <b>destruction</b>.
33 And now, do ye suppose that the children of this land, who were in the land of promise, who were <b>driven out</b> by our fathers, do ye suppose that they were righteous? Behold, I say unto you, Nay.
34 Do ye suppose that our fathers would have been more choice than they if they had been righteous? I say unto you, Nay.
35 Behold, the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one; he that is righteous is favored of God. But behold, this people had rejected every word of God, and they were ripe in iniquity; and the <b>fulness of the wrath of God</b> was upon them; and the Lord did curse the land against them, and bless it unto our fathers; yea, <b>he did curse it against them unto their destruction, and he did bless it unto our fathers unto their obtaining power over it</b>.
36 Behold, the Lord hath created the earth that it should be inhabited; and he hath created his children that they should possess it.
37 And he raiseth up a righteous nation, and <b>destroyeth</b> the nations of the wicked.
38 And he leadeth away the righteous into precious lands, and the <b>wicked he destroyeth</b>, and curseth the land unto them for their sakes.

Some of the LDS cross-references include Ex 34:11 ("I drive out before thee"), Josh 11:6 ("I deliver them all up slain"), and Josh 24:8 ("I destroyed them from before you").

Gee, Archaea, it sure sounds like Nephi was ratifying the Lord's command to destroy an entire people, but I'll be interested to see if your Urim and Thummim shows differently.
He recited what the traditions that the Hebrews taught post Northern Kingdom exile, but pre Judaic exile. So what. Show me where he advocated and implemented the same MO in Nephite history. A traditional recitation of Hebrew tradition is hardly an endorsement.

And having a land cursed so that one loses one's grip is hardly an endorsement for mass murder. Read the nuance, New Mex guy.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
He recited what the traditions that the Hebrews taught post Northern Kingdom exile, but pre Judaic exile. So what. Show me where he advocated and implemented the same MO in Nephite history. A traditional recitation of Hebrew tradition is hardly an endorsement.

And having a land cursed so that one loses one's grip is hardly an endorsement for mass murder. Read the nuance, New Mex guy.
Don't change the subject.

You asked for extra-Biblical scriptural evidence that God actually commanded such a deed, and I gave it to you.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote