cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine that liberal Dems have coopted that terms, whereas my family would never be considered a liberal Democratic family, yet we work hard to contribute to local charities in both time and money. My wife alone donates close to 25 hours per week on charities, and we donate significant income for us. But because we're not Dems, we're not compassionate. (PS I'm not asking for any commendation as the work for charities is compensation enough, but the "compassionate" society is pure BS IMHO).

I don't listen to Limbaugh or Hannity so I wouldn't recognize the quote.
Politicians always hijack terms and ideas. This is nothing new. The Republicans have somehow gotten the reputation of "making America safer". Cheney went as far as guaranteeing that the US would suffer a major attack if Kerry were to be elected. Politicians are for the most part the same. They all tell us what they think we want to hear and then do what they want once they are elected.

On compassion...My comments were TIC. I think that compassion is a personal trait not tied to a political party. My beliefs are that charity should be left to churches and private organizations. Government screws up nearly everything it touches. Other beliefs are as follows:
1. It's not the governments job to educate your child.
2. Consenting adults should be able to have sex in any way they both agree to. If someone gets paid to have sex, good for them.
3. Drugs should be legal. It's my body so I can do what I want to it. If I choose to take drugs and ruin my life, it's not the governments job to take care of me. The FDA is a joke.
4. Income tax should be abolished. I prefer consumer based taxes.
5. If a crime has no victim, there should be no law against the behavour.
6. Free trade.
7. I hate the U.N.
8. Diplomatic immunity need to be abolished.
9. Abolish most or all of our gun laws
10. The Fiat currency system is evil.

Unfortunately, Americans in general love to say they love freedom, but actually love to have others tell them what to do. Both parties couldn't care less about the citizens. So, honestly, I don't think it matters who wins the election. We are going down in flames regardless.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote