cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Weekend ride reports

We had a great group ride on Saturday. 6 of us headed up into the hills for one of our classic routes - 42 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing.

We had a killer cross wind the first 10 miles, which is supposed to be our gentle warm-up for the hills. Our average speed dropped almost 5 mph from normal that first stretch. Legs were already burning when we hit the hills.

There were 4 of us who were feeling lively and went hard. The 5th guy, the strongest of the bunch by far was having a recovery day, and the 6th guy is a clydesdale who is great on the flats and the downhills.

By the time we hit the big hills, the wind died down and we had a great 20 miles in the big trees.

The last 12 miles are a slight down grade with a few rollers. Its always very fast through here and saturday didn't disappoint. It always ends in a KOM sprint up the last hill before we come back to town. I was in third position at the base and went for it. I had a decent gap until about 2/3 of the way up when the two climbers in the group reeled me in, beating me by a bike length to the top. Max HR was at 184.

Great ride overall. I was wiped out later that day, but am feeling much better about the Death Ride in 5 weeks. I just hope my 36/27 combo will be enough for those long climbs.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote