cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
I'm sure it is an interesting read. I will have to add it to my list. I did pick up some LDS books this weekend. I bought Jesus the Christ by Talmage, my brother recommended it. I also picked up The Infinite Atonement by Callister, my sister-in-law recommended it.

Are you familiar with either?
Yes.

Talmage's work is a reworking of a then popular "Life of Christ" which were written in response to the figurative treatment of Christ during the 19th and early 20th centuries. For its time, it was a worthy Mormonization of the Christ's live type of work.

Callister is popular fare with some focus upon grace. It's du jour type of work but not bad.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-06-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Real.Men.Wear.Blue

Real.Men.Wear.Blue is on a distinguished road

It bears noting that comprehensive genetic research has been performed in an attempt to verify the paternity of people alleged to be children of Joseph Smith through plural wives, including descendants of Fannie Alger (such as her firstborn, one Orrison Smith, thought to be the most likely candidate). This genetic research has revealed no descendant of Joseph Smith through any woman other than his lawful wife, Emma Smith.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...226318,00.html

With that said, no one really knows what transpired between Fannie and JS. Fannie herself reportedly refused to discuss the matter even after JS had died (and she was no longer an active member). Most of the statements suggesting that JS had an illicit affair with Fannie, however, were made by members and former members who were disaffected at the time of their statements (e.g., Oliver Cowdery). On the other hand, it appears to be undisputed that Fannie came to the Smith home to work as a young housekeeper and Emma eventually booted her from their home because of Emma's personal dislike for Fannie. Seems strange indeed.

BTW, one of Crompton's works about Fannie Alger can be found here:

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...CISOSHOW=18163
Real.Men.Wear.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Real.Men.Wear.Blue

Real.Men.Wear.Blue is on a distinguished road

Also, any comparison between Smith's alleged relationship with the 16-year-old Fannie Alger and Polanski's perverted attack on the 13-year-old Samantha Gailey seems unfair. Polanski RAPED and sodomized this girl after plying her with alcohol and drugs. According to her grand jury testimony, the girl repeatedly tried to get away from Polanski and refused his advances. Her testimony also paints a picture of a calculated scheme where Polanski groomed the victim for the assault, having met with her on several prior occasions and telling her he wanted to take pictures of her for a magazine.

For those interested, the victim's sworn testimony from 30 years ago can be found here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...polanski1.html

Warning: the testimony is graphic and not for the faint of heart.
Real.Men.Wear.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote