cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Ladies...

If you've never read the Acts of Thecla (an ancient Christian work that didn't make it into the New Testament), you really need to!

It's all about how Thecla and Paul went around teaching women to abandon the needs of "weak" men and dedicate themselves to lives of chastity. Even in marriage!

I can't IMAGINE how the church fathers managed to exclude this one from the canon. Probably some complicated theological issue, right?

No, but seriously, it's a great read anyway. I highly recommend.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
If you've never read the Acts of Thecla (an ancient Christian work that didn't make it into the New Testament), you really need to!

It's all about how Thecla and Paul went around teaching women to abandon the needs of "weak" men and dedicate themselves to lives of chastity. Even in marriage!

I can't IMAGINE how the church fathers managed to exclude this one from the canon. Probably some complicated theological issue, right?

No, but seriously, it's a great read anyway. I highly recommend.
Chastity in marriage? No I'm afraid that's a doctrine taught in relief society among fifty percent of our women. It seems as if the teachings are such that everybody's getting but you and your friends.

What a horrible doctrine. Talk about apostate literature.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you thinking of chastity? or celebacy?

I think chastity is cool in marriage...means to me that you're spouse is not out bed hopping around the neighborhood.

Now celebacy?....now that's a whoooole other topic! I think I'd be joining some other church myself!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Are you thinking of chastity? or celebacy?

I think chastity is cool in marriage...means to me that you're spouse is not out bed hopping around the neighborhood.

Now celebacy?....now that's a whoooole other topic! I think I'd be joining some other church myself!

The doctrine applies to abstinence in Church. It's frequently argued within Relief Society. How little is too much.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Well, this particular translation uses the word chaste but clearly is discussing celibacy. The husbands were apparently trying to burn the teachers at the stake for "corrupting" the wives.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
The Borg

Quote:
The husbands were apparently trying to burn the teachers at the stake for "corrupting" the wives.
...well,.....come on.....do you blame them?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The husbands were apparently trying to burn the teachers at the stake for "corrupting" the wives.
Damn straight.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

I think the whole thing is hilarious.

I'm not kidding, if you haven't read the non-canonical literature, it's fascinating. I'm guessing at least a few of our classicists around here are familiar with quite a bit of it and can tell us what the best reads are.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
The Borg

Does it read like the 1950's version of "what a housewife should be" ? I think you're familiar with that from previous threads.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

No, no. It's a mini Greek epic, except with a woman trying not to get raped by governors or eaten by sea-lions.

Quote:
Then Thecla was taken out of the hand of Trifina, stripped naked, had an encircling cloth put on, and was thrown into the place appointed for fighting with the beasts. Then the lions and the bears were let loose upon her. But a she-lion, which was of all the most fierce, ran to Thecla and fell down at her feet. At that, the multitude of women shouted aloud. Then a she-bear ran fiercely toward her; but the she-lion met the bear and tore it to pieces. Again, a he-lion who had been accustomed to devour men, and which belonged to Alexander, ran toward her; but the she-lion encountered the he-lion, and they killed each other.

Then the women had a greater concern because the she-lion that had helped Thecla was dead. Afterwards they brought out many other wild beasts, but Thecla stood with her hands stretched towards heaven and prayed. When she finished praying, she turned about and saw a pit of water and said, Now is a proper time for me to be baptized.

Accordingly she threw herself into the water and said, In your name, O my Lord Jesus Christ, I am this last day baptized. Upon seeing this, the women and the people cried out and said, Do not throw yourself into the water. And the governor himself cried out to think that the sea-lions were likely to devour so much beauty. Notwithstanding all this, Thecla threw herself into the water in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Well, *I* liked it anyway.