cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat

Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone here ever buy art?

I'm considering making my first art purchase. Okay, now that I think about it, that's not entirely true. I bought a print of the SLC temple that is art.

But in this specific case, I'm talking about a limited edition photo of a professional photographer. Not as an investment, but just because I like it and I can.

However, I am cheap. Very cheap. And that's what causes the conflict. Not to mention that there are competing goods. I could donate the money to fast offerings for example. Pay the bills for fellow members of the church.

But I believe supporting artists is important. I wouldn't like a world without artists. If I've spent some fraction of a percent of my life earnings on art pieces I can own, perhaps I can bump that up a little.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

When we first got married we wanted to buy a nice painting with some of our gift money. We soon found out that it was WAY too expensive. A decent sized painting just at an art student level starts at $1400 or thereabouts. A known regional artist will run you several thousand dollars. If it's somebody that a lot of people have heard of, just forget about it. It really pains me because I would like to have something nice on the wall(we have a lot of open spaces on our walls) and I am not really inclined to do the faux culturish thing of framing print posters in order to seem international.

Maybe in another, more affluent life.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It is difficult because I would like to support artists, yet their work is often quite expensive, for what I consider a luxury. As a result, there is very little art I have purchased.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Maybe I will buy this.

http://www.20x200.com/artworks/3451-...feral-church-2

A reminder of how frail our institutions are. I had the experience of being at the dedication of a new LDS chapel on my mission. All the excitement of that. I returned about 4 years later, and it was like a ruin. Abandoned and overgrown with vegetation (the yard that is, the actual building was not yet a ruin).

It's human hands that keep things going through constant diligence.

Archaea, surely you can afford $24. There are also $10 off $50 coupons to be found for this site.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I still can't figure out what I like and I'm perplexed as to what to buy. My clients seem bent on buying over-priced well-known art to be seen as an art aficionado.

I would prefer to find gems undiscovered and to buy some of their art that touches me. Yet I have neither the time nor the eye to identify budding geniuses.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

buy a $20 limited print that you like. You can hardly buy an art poster for that much.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just bought three more prints. Up to seven prints now. Going on a craze, hehe. I will probably start printing my own photos as well. I have a couple I like.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here you go. Art for $1. Can't afford that Archaea?

http://www.20x200.com/artworks/4137-...0Jason%20Polan

Sadly, I don't think I would pay $1 for this.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I have a few original art pieces, all paintings. A couple were done by a family member and were received as gifts. I like them, but they are not great art. I have a couple of others that I got at an antiques auction house. One is somewhat large and on canvas. It's supposedly 19th century (British) and by no one, but I bought it because it spoke to me, and I enjoy it. The other is also by no one and 19th century British (my master's degree was basically in Victorian literature, so that time and place has meaning to me). Anyway, the second is smaller and on a wood panel. This piece I truly love. There is a crack in the wood in the center, but that is part of why I love it, actually. I don't remember what I spent on each, but neither was more than $200.

I guess I'm not supporting any artists, but I like their uniqueness and what they express to me and about me.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I like this one.

http://www.20x200.com/artworks/4027-...hot%21%20Ultra