cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default 2015-16 basketball schedule

Dang it, I wish they'd finally release it! It doesn't normally take this long. We know a few of the non-conference games, but the rumor is they're still working on solidifying the last game or two.

We do know we're playing at Utah, USU at home and Weber State at ESA in early December. We also play at a pretty good tournament in Hawaii around Christmas, where we could potentially get 3 games against top 50ish ranked teams. We also play at Colorado in late December. Colorado has been pretty decent in recent years.

I am excited about this season. We will be much better balanced. Last year we had zero inside presence. That will be very much improved. Haws is gone, but frankly, scoring points is the easiest thing to replace for Dave Rose teams.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
BlueK

I'd love to know what's holding up the release of the schedule. My guess is they're desperately trying to work out a deal with a decent team so at least there's one good team coming to Provo this year. I guess I can't really blame a good team for not wanting to play BYU at the MC. But if there is one thing I don't like about college basketball is that most brand name teams think they should have every non-conference game at home. The thing is, the selection committee has proven over the last several years that they reward teams for playing good teams outside of the conference, especially on the road. Despite that, major conference teams that finish barely over .500 for the season and didn't play anyone decent in the non-conference schedule still complain every year when the committee leaves them out.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-13-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
BlueK

the schedule is finally out. It's not great but not terrible. It's not as strong as what we've had the last couple of years, but how long it took to release is a pretty strong indication that they had a hard time getting teams to want to come to Provo. It is what it is, I guess. In general, good teams don't want to play on the road. The better the team, the more extreme it tends to get. For example, Duke hasn't played a real non-conference road game in like ten years, aside from tournaments or a game every other year they're forced to play in the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Still, there is enough opportunity in this year's schedule with games at Utah, at Colorado, and in the tournament in Hawaii where hopefully we'll get to play a highly ranked Oklahoma team in the final.

http://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/2015-2016