cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BMW, Audi, Lexus or equivalent...

My wife had a '99 Audi A4 quattro when we got married.. it had over 70k miles i believe when it started to have problems.. is that still the case with 2002 and newer? I'm looking at a couple Audi's that have just over 60k, but don't want to buy them and then have problems within the same year of purchase.

Also, what about higher mileage BMW's or Lexus or other cars simliar to them. What's your recommendation? looking at 2002 or newer on all vehicles with preferably around 50-60k unless they can go longer with regular maintenance. Also what should I look for with your recommended vehicle of choice?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a brand new Accord/Camry/Maxima for the same price and don't worry about the loss of status. You'll be much happier with the results.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
bYuPride

I like the new Accords...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I'd stay away from Audi's with mileage. The depreciate poorly and have lots of electrical issues.

What are you looking for? Sedan, coupe? I have a buddy selling a BMW coupe with low miles. It's a screaming deal.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...view&ad=592988

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

now is a good time to buy SUVs and Trucks at firesale prices.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I'd stay away from Audi's with mileage. The depreciate poorly and have lots of electrical issues.

What are you looking for? Sedan, coupe? I have a buddy selling a BMW coupe with low miles. It's a screaming deal.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...view&ad=592988
Dang, that's what I was thinking about Audi's. I was hoping the 2002 and newer models were better than the late '90s. I'm looking for a sedan or else I would definitely look at your buddies BMW.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

You'll pay a premium for a used Honda. Honda actually has incentive programs for their dealers to buy used Hondas. In this way they can keep depreciation in check and keep their prices artificially high. But they are good cars though interior wise they haven't been very imaginative and lacking in recent years. Same with Toyota. I really don't like the way they have changed.

The problem with luxury vehicles with the kind of mileage you're looking at is that they become very expensive to fix. Buying an extended warranty (if offered) on these vehicles also becomes expensive. You can budget payment, but you can't budget repairs. This is why 75% of all luxury vehicles are leases. They turn their cars in before their warranties expire.

If you're looking at the Accord, Camry class consider the Mazda6. Mazda has redesigned them for '09 and they should be out in August. The new Camry and Accord are nice though too. Can't really go wrong with any of them. I also like the Subaru Legacy GT.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What about a VW Passat? Those seem to be pretty popular and are less pricey than a BMW.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What about a VW Passat? Those seem to be pretty popular and are less pricey than a BMW.
Same issues as Audi.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I like the new Accords...
The new Accords are the old Hyundais. Blech.