cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Clark, you sound like an old pro. I'm new to smoking, so I have nothing of value to say on this topic. I just wanted to get the conversation started again.

What's the Minion method?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Clark, you sound like an old pro. I'm new to smoking, so I have nothing of value to say on this topic. I just wanted to get the conversation started again.

What's the Minion method?
I'm far from an expert, but living in NC does give plenty of opportunity to taste and create BBQ.

Goatnapper mentioned the Minion method earlier. Basically, instead of starting the fire and continually adding charcoal through the process, you start out with a large pile of charcoal, then you light up a small amount and put them on top of the pile. the charcoal will slowly burn through, giving you many hours of burn where the fire doesn't need to be tended at all. The disadvantages are:
  • I think that it only really works with the Weber Smokey Mountain, where you have a tightly sealed smoker with good air control.
  • Some people feel strongly that all charcoal added to the smoker should already be started, or it will give an unpleasant side taste to the food. I don't notice this.
  • Since lump charcoal burns quicker, if you want to do a long, unattended burn (like more than 6 hours or so), you are better off using briquettes. For some purists, using briquettes is only slightly better than smoking up a turkey loaf. I'm not a purist, so I use briqettes more often than not when I am smoking. Not only can you leave them unattended for longer, but they burn more consistently and at a lower temperature, so they are easier to control. I've gone well over 12 hours without adding any charcoal, and I've never had the charcoal go cold overnight or while I'm away at church.

How about temperature? Has anyone done any real experimentation here? Most places I see say to keep it around 220 degrees. I like to keep it a little cooler, usually around 200 to 210, but I haven't done enough testing to see what difference it makes to do it at 190 vs. 210 vs. 240.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

I smoked a whole chicken yesterday while I did some yardwork. I brined it overnight, put on some Famous Dave's rub, and then smoked it in Hickory laced with Apple. Delicious. It shredded very nicely and we had some great sandwiches. Smoking is a lot of fun. It's interesting to see all the different ways man, in a gender neutral sense, has devised to cook meat.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I smoked a whole chicken yesterday while I did some yardwork. I brined it overnight, put on some Famous Dave's rub, and then smoked it in Hickory laced with Apple. Delicious. It shredded very nicely and we had some great sandwiches. Smoking is a lot of fun. It's interesting to see all the different ways man, in a gender neutral sense, has devised to cook meat.
Sounds great.

We did ribs today. They were awesome.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
We did ribs today. They were awesome.
Do you have a preference for spare ribs or back ribs?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you have a preference for spare ribs or back ribs?
Not really. I buy both at Costco. Good price and good quality. Price being equal, I would probably go with baby backs most of the time. But they are usually a buck or so a lb. more than spare ribs. So I just let the spirit move me.

Baby backs generally have a more consistent shape and amount of meat per rib, so they are more difficult to mess up.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Smoked a turkey in a trash can for Christmas.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Not really. I buy both at Costco. Good price and good quality. Price being equal, I would probably go with baby backs most of the time. But they are usually a buck or so a lb. more than spare ribs. So I just let the spirit move me.

Baby backs generally have a more consistent shape and amount of meat per rib, so they are more difficult to mess up.
You people might not believe this but I found some of the best pit smoked bar-b-que just off of I-80, in Winnemucca. Exit 176 it is called "The Flying Pig."

Tell em Goat sent you. Trust me.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I love to smoke. Especially ribs. I am still toying with my process (which I think is more important than the rub used for ribs), but here is what I do:

0.5. Soak wood chips for 48 hours- I like mesquite on ribs
1. Strib membranes off of ribs.
2. Rub ribs in yellow mustard (thin coat)
3. Apply rub mix
4. Wrap ribs in saran wrap tightly, then wrap in tin foil. Put ribs on grill (I have a side firebox where I put all my charcoal). The thermometer reading in the main portion of the grill where I cook (with no charcoal in that part of the grill) should be about 180-200. If that low, the saran wrap won't melt. Let the ribs cook like this for about 2-3 hours.
5. Take ribs off grill, remove saran wrap and tin foil. Place ribs back on grill for smoking. Add pre-soaked wood chips to side firebox (lots of them) and replace them when they burn out. Ensure smoke burns white rather than black (which indicates an acrid smell).
6. Gently flip ribs as needed, smoke on lower heat for around 2-3 hours.
7. Start basting ribs with your favorite bbq sauce- I love Sweet Baby Rays. Wait for outer coat to start to harden onto ribs, then apply another coat. Do about 3-4 coats.
8. Enjoy.

The saran wrap makes the ribs literally fall off the bone, so it is a bit tricky to cook them on the grill after that. You can play with the time they cook in saran wrap a bit to ensure they aren't fully cooked in saran wrap. It is a balancing act, but they are fantastic when done.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Cali, that sounds great. Do you use just plain French's mustard?