cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Is it Hill or does the offense have bigger problems.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

apparently we were using a third string tackle. But I mostly think it's the problem of having a quarterback who cant see the field.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

it's finally dawning on CB: Taysom Hill is not a very good QB.

I used to call him a Tim Tebow who could pass. (not a great passer, but could pass).

Now I can't even call him that. Cause he's not an effective runner at this point. More like a Jake Heaps who can't pass. Well, that's not really saying much, because Heaps couldn't pass either.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The advantage of old age....I just don't give damn anymore.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

CB is so boring when everyone agrees with me.

The problem with being ahead of the curve is that eventually the curve catches up to you.

Crowton sucks. Want Bronco gone. And so forth.

Now one struggles to find anyone defending Taysom.

What I really like about this team is, duh, the defense. I think that bodes well for the future. We have a defensive HC, we apparently have a good DC and other position coaches. And they seem to be getting the most of out of these players.

I just love Butch. You know in that first game, when he popped that RB in the hole, came in like a freight train. And the camera zoomed in on him, showing him smiling, shaking his head back and forth like he was having the best time, like he was chuckling to himself about why the RB decided to come at him.

That's what makes football fun. Of course, it's also what fries brains, but like I said, that's what makes football football, and not ultimate frisbee.

The offense will get sorted out eventually. But now we have a good HC I think, and I'm happy about that.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mike Holmgren on KJR Seattle this morning: "I'm a big believer in putting in the young guy and letting him learn by doing taking his knocks."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

The story on Hill is that he's been an exciting runner who is injury prone, but who also has never been a reliable passer. Several experts now like former coach Bellotti on Saturday and now Travor Matich and others have pointed out that he hasn't learned how to place the ball where the receiver is going to be. Instead he prefers to have a wide open receiver stand and wait for the ball. That's typical of a QB who has relied on his legs and never learned the finer techniques of the passing game. But unlike many runner QBs like him, he actually does have a strong arm. He's just never learned how to use it effectively. And now that he doesn't seem to have the same explosiveness on the ground that he had before this last injury, the total package is very much lacking. I love his passion for the game, but even that doesn't seem the same this year. It's time to give Mangum a chance. The offensive line has issues, but perhaps contrary to popular opinion, I actually think Hill's hesitation in the pocket and then taking off running too early is making the line look worse than it is.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I'm not convinced Hill is the problem with BYU's offense. I'm not convinced that Mangum will make anything better. The problem is hiring an unqualified high school coach as the offensive coordinator. Also, a terrible offensive line.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=16546835

David Nixon defending Taysom Hill. Real shocker there.

Hill is married to Nixon's sister.

Sorry David, while the OL may suck, this QB sucks too.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

This is the same Hill we've seen throughout. He's always been a weak passer. The only difference this year is his running has clearly taken a step back probably from the injury and being out for so long.