cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 09-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The room you walk into after you die

I had an old friend. As in old of age. But also a long time ago, so old that way too. He has died now. He wasn't really religious. But we talked about stuff.

Anyway, he said that when he died, he hoped he would end up in the same place as Mark Twain and Shakespeare and guys like that.

So I've always considered the idea that heaven is like home, and you are with friends and interesting people--the people that you like and like you.

The door opens, and there is a table, and they are playing cards. They look up and see you, and all smile, and say "we've been waiting for you. We saved you a seat."

And you finally exhale, you are finally home.

Of course that could be your family and friends. But it's fun to think about whom else this could be.

Friend on FB posted a thing where Daniel Peterson went off on Christopher Hitchens. Well that caught my interest because I always liked reading Hitchens. Didn't always agree with him. But I loved reading him. And I miss him. And we don't have anyone to replace him. So I started engaging on this thread in various way, discussing the issues of Hitchens and also Peterson. I.e. expressing some good things about Hitchens and some dim things about Peterson. And this guy gets very upset and tells me to stop. Saying essentially he won't stand for anyone trying to say positive things about Hitchens because Hitchens was a terrible person.

Another LDS ass-munch. He is a terribly prideful man--loves his intellect. But sadly often exposes himself as a small-minded moron.

So it got me to thinking. That poker room, the door opening. Who is in my heaven, and pulls the seat out for me? Would I rather it be Hitchens or Peterson?

It's not even close, of course. It's Hitchens. "Enemy of religion." Instead of Peterson, "defender of the LDS faith."

How do I put my finger on it? I think there was something in Hitchens that really desperately wanted to latch onto and defend what is right, and correct the wrongs in the world that no one dared speak of. Peterson has become a man that not even the conservative Mormons can stomach. There is no poetry in his soul, it seems. Maybe I'm wrong. And I'm sorry for saying one of the harshest things that I can say.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I had an old friend. As in old of age. But also a long time ago, so old that way too. He has died now. He wasn't really religious. But we talked about stuff.

Anyway, he said that when he died, he hoped he would end up in the same place as Mark Twain and Shakespeare and guys like that.

So I've always considered the idea that heaven is like home, and you are with friends and interesting people--the people that you like and like you.

The door opens, and there is a table, and they are playing cards. They look up and see you, and all smile, and say "we've been waiting for you. We saved you a seat."

And you finally exhale, you are finally home.

Of course that could be your family and friends. But it's fun to think about whom else this could be.

Friend on FB posted a thing where Daniel Peterson went off on Christopher Hitchens. Well that caught my interest because I always liked reading Hitchens. Didn't always agree with him. But I loved reading him. And I miss him. And we don't have anyone to replace him. So I started engaging on this thread in various way, discussing the issues of Hitchens and also Peterson. I.e. expressing some good things about Hitchens and some dim things about Peterson. And this guy gets very upset and tells me to stop. Saying essentially he won't stand for anyone trying to say positive things about Hitchens because Hitchens was a terrible person.

Another LDS ass-munch. He is a terribly prideful man--loves his intellect. But sadly often exposes himself as a small-minded moron.

So it got me to thinking. That poker room, the door opening. Who is in my heaven, and pulls the seat out for me? Would I rather it be Hitchens or Peterson?

It's not even close, of course. It's Hitchens. "Enemy of religion." Instead of Peterson, "defender of the LDS faith."

How do I put my finger on it? I think there was something in Hitchens that really desperately wanted to latch onto and defend what is right, and correct the wrongs in the world that no one dared speak of. Peterson has become a man that not even the conservative Mormons can stomach. There is no poetry in his soul, it seems. Maybe I'm wrong. And I'm sorry for saying one of the harshest things that I can say.
I can't square this with the fact you have this stupid facebook friend you hang out with and you declined my friend request.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Which stupid friend? I have many.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just PM me, so I am less exposed.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just PM me, so I am less exposed.
You don't have to worry about being seen with Satan on facebook. I'm different there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I can't square this with the fact you have this stupid facebook friend you hang out with and you declined my friend request.
lol.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
lol.
lol, he's talking about you. ;0
Old 09-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #8
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I hope they have creme brulee there
Old 09-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
I hope they have creme brulee there
I hope they have Napoleano pizza, have some Italian ice and have a pool with clear, warm water. A good white sand beach nearby would be nice as well.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote