cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody who enables Trump's victory is nuts.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Anybody who enables Trump's victory is nuts.
Hillary is wrong on all major, substantive issues. Wrong. She is wrong on liberties. She is wrong on foreign policy. She is wrong on taxes. She is wrong on spending. She is wrong on immigration. She is hateful, she can't get along with the GOP.

Trump is wrong on most issues, but if he were elected, he would need the cooperation of the GOP, or he would be incapable of getting anything done. Thus, because the GOP is better than the Democrats on the issues, is it better to entrust the Democratic Party which is wrong on all major issues or to entrust it to the GOP which is right on a few issues?

The Dems do nothing right. The GOP does one or two things right. That is not a ringing endorsement but it is a strategic vote.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
ChinoCoug

Tell me which one of Trump's policies isn't absolute bonkers.

Ban Muslim immigration.
Default on our debt.
45% tariff on Chinese goods.
Build a wall on Mexican border.

Also, tell me why his support base is comprised of White nationalists and those without college educations.

Ku Klux Klan? What? I don't know anything about them.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
ChinoCoug

Wrong > Bonkers.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Tell me which one of Trump's policies isn't absolute bonkers.

Ban Muslim immigration.
Default on our debt.
45% tariff on Chinese goods.
Build a wall on Mexican border.

Also, tell me why his support base is comprised of White nationalists and those without college educations.

Ku Klux Klan? What? I don't know anything about them.
I am not defending Trump, but Hillary is indefensible.

I actually stopped listening to Trump because he drives me nuts, but recently I have heard it reported he would identify whom he would consider for Supreme Court nominees. Hillary has stated she will use her appointments to overturn Heller, which she argues is wrongly decided. IOW, US citizens have no right of self-defense and no right to bear arms. This is a vital liberty. Trump has no wonderful history on this but has indicated he won't seek to eviscerate this liberty.

None of those nonsensical positions will he be able to implement. Some of Hillary's nonsensical positions might be implemented. That is the major difference. Trump will be cordoned off but Hillary will have power to do real damage. Moreover, the Democratic Party will eliminate personal liberties, wreak havoc on the healthcare system, raise taxes dramatically and increase spending thereby growing government exorbitantly. That must be stopped above all else.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
ChinoCoug

Government spending as a % of GDP was lower under Clinton than Bush.

GOP are the irresponsible spenders, not to mention lapping up to their donors with tax cuts for the wealthy and creating social instability by exacerbating income inequality.

Nobody since Bill Clinton has been fiscally responsible. Nobody. Obama was better than Bush; he cut discretionary spending, but still widened the deficit.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Government spending as a % of GDP was lower under Clinton than Bush.

GOP are the irresponsible spenders, not to mention lapping up to their donors with tax cuts for the wealthy and creating social instability by exacerbating income inequality.

Nobody since Bill Clinton has been fiscally responsible. Nobody. Obama was better than Bush; he cut discretionary spending, but still widened the deficit.
I would argue Bill wasn't fiscally responsible but that Gingrich was.

The GOP argues in favor of fiscal responsibility but doesn't cut once in power. I recognize that problem with the GOP. The Dems only wish to raise taxes to confiscatory levels.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #18
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would argue Bill wasn't fiscally responsible but that Gingrich was.

The GOP argues in favor of fiscal responsibility but doesn't cut once in power. I recognize that problem with the GOP. The Dems only wish to raise taxes to confiscatory levels.
Republicans don't even pretend to be fiscally responsible anymore. Look at all their candidates's plans:

Cruz: Flat tax, brags about the support of Arthur Laffer, the father of voodoo economics. Insane.

Jeb!: Assumes the economy will grow 4% a year in his plan to pay for his huge tax cuts. Insane.

Carson: Flat tax, also insane.

Rubio: Only wants to cut the top rate to 35% from 39% (Clinton promised 36% when he ran), and wants to give the middle class a bigger cut. Great that he recognizes inequality is a growing problem. But he always wants to eliminate capital gains and inheritance tax. He'll be just like W. Bush. Irresponsible.

Clinton denied liberals a lot on their wishlists. That is responsible.

Gingrich, like Clinton, spent money where it mattered, like doubling NIH funding. And he recently said we should do it again. The government needs to make necessary investments in health and R&D.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #19
Archaea

Quote:

Carson: Flat tax, also insane.

Rubio: Only wants to cut the top rate to 35% from 39% (Clinton promised 36% when he ran), and wants to give the middle class a bigger cut. Great that he recognizes inequality is a growing problem. But he always wants to eliminate capital gains and inheritance tax. He'll be just like W. Bush. Irresponsible.

Gingrich, like Clinton, spent money where it mattered, like doubling NIH funding. And he recently said we should do it again. The government needs to make necessary investments in health and R&D.

What is insane about a single rate tax? To me, that is inherently the most fair tax there is. I never have understood why liberals favor a progressive income tax.

I understand we might not be able to eliminate certain taxes but you are being disingenuous.

The Inheritance tax only collects about $40 Billion, with a multi-Trillion Dollar budget, that is peanuts, but it is a rich person tax so nobody cares.

Cutting the capital gains tax is in line with what most industrialized countries do. It does stimulate investment.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #20
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
trump
I don't think trump can win it. There aren't enough old angry white men to get him the votes he needs in enough states.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote