cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #71
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If you're not disagreeing with that, then we're all good.
Where did you get that the point of disagreement between us was whether or not there were internal disagreements over the use of torture at the DOJ?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #72
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Where did you get that the point of disagreement between us was whether or not there were internal disagreements over the use of torture at the DOJ?

Quote:
And it doesn't show that there was "healthy disagreement" over a "murky" topic.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #73
Cali Coug

Quote:
So you focused solely on the word "disagreement" and extrapolated from there?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #74
Tex

Quote:
So you focused solely on the word "disagreement" and extrapolated from there?
I'm not going to get into a fresh argument, arguing about how we argued the previous argument. (Is it any wonder people hate lawyers?)

To sum up:

You apparently think this report shows the OLC recognizing its mistake and recommending rectifying it, and because it was under a Bush administration, you think there's no politics involved.

I think the report is simply one more piece of evidence reflecting the complex moral problem waterboarding represents. And I think the present-day attempts to "crucify" people for their opinions is all about politics.

We've both made our cases. Time to move on.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #75
Cali Coug

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a fresh argument, arguing about how we argued the previous argument. (Is it any wonder people hate lawyers?)

To sum up:

You apparently think this report shows the OLC recognizing its mistake and recommending rectifying it, and because it was under a Bush administration, you think there's no politics involved.

I think the report is simply one more piece of evidence reflecting the complex moral problem waterboarding represents. And I think the present-day attempts to "crucify" people for their opinions is all about politics.

We've both made our cases. Time to move on.
But that is just it, Tex. Waterboarding isn't a complex moral problem. Even the OLC under the Bush administration determined that one of their own should face sanctions by his state bar association for his conduct in writing the memos. You and your ilk want to make waterboarding out to be "murky" and a "complex moral problem." It isn't. It is clear. It is torture. Bybee advocated torturing people, and then people were tortured using Bybee's logic as their rationale. The fact that bad people advocated bad ideas and that people then acted on those bad ideas does not make the subject "murky." Numerous US cases have consistently held that waterboarding is torture. We have publicly decried regimes for their use of waterboarding as torture. The SERE program teaches people to resist torture, including waterboarding. You guys have so completely lost your moral compass that you think this is just a political question. I hope to never be like you.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #76
Tex

Quote:
But that is just it, Tex. Waterboarding isn't a complex moral problem. Even the OLC under the Bush administration determined that one of their own should face sanctions by his state bar association for his conduct in writing the memos. You and your ilk want to make waterboarding out to be "murky" and a "complex moral problem." It isn't. It is clear. It is torture. Bybee advocated torturing people, and then people were tortured using Bybee's logic as their rationale. The fact that bad people advocated bad ideas and that people then acted on those bad ideas does not make the subject "murky." Numerous US cases have consistently held that waterboarding is torture. We have publicly decried regimes for their use of waterboarding as torture. The SERE program teaches people to resist torture, including waterboarding. You guys have so completely lost your moral compass that you think this is just a political question. I hope to never be like you.
That's all your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Obviously I and a lot of other fine, moral upstanding people feel differently.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #77
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's all your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Obviously I and a lot of other fine, moral upstanding people feel differently.
thanks for the chuckle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #78
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
thanks for the chuckle.
Supercilious bastard.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #79
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Bybee back in the news. Tragedy.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...judge.html.csp
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote