cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Why does the "suffering' of speices as they are forced to adapt through natural selection necessarily constitute evil?
As I understand philosophers traditionally equate evil with suffering and this is particularly so with respect to "the problem of evil." I was more dismissive of the problem of evil when I was younger. But with experience and maturity it has become more of a problem for me, I confess.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #12
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I am not a fan of C.S. Lewis. I cited him because I thought you and Indy might be.
You missed the point. Your methodology is the issue.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As I understand philosophers traditionally equate evil with suffering and this is particularly so with respect to "the problem of evil." I was more dismissive of the problem of evil when I was younger. But with experience and maturity it has become more of a problem for me, I confess.
But if one takes a deistic view, is the suffering evil? Is the objection that if God asllows or causes suffering he can't be all good?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
But if one takes a deistic view, is the suffering evil? Is the objection that if God asllows or causes suffering he can't be all good?
The article goes on to say that the problem of evil and hence Darwinism is not a problem for Deism. Deism is not the type of worship described in the quote.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I don't bother reading CS Lewis because I get enough excerpts at General Conference as it is.
Now that was funny.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
You missed the point. Your methodology is the issue.
LOL. A bom apologist lecturing me about "methodology." The old big word dropping tactic. Personally, I don't know if religious people are more immoral than non-religious people. I have read studies that say the answer is at best inconclusive, and much depends on how you categorize Stalin and Hitler, as practicing secularism or a type of dogma and hence religion. I was simply resonding to Indy's clear insinuation that atheists used natural selection as a rationale to disclaim God with an ulterior motive, and citing a famously religious person (apparenlty often quoted in GC) to make the point that the case is not at all open and shut in favor of religious people. I simply employed a common rhetorical device, and unlike your FARMSy friends have never engaged in a pretense of being scientific or systematic.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-07-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
ChinoCoug

Quote:
LOL. A bom apologist lecturing me about "methodology." The old big word dropping tactic. Personally, I don't know if religious people are more immoral than non-religious people. I have read studies that say the answer is at best inconclusive, and much depends on how you categorize Stalin and Hitler, as practicing secularism or a type of dogma and hence religion. I was simply resonding to Indy's clear insinuation that atheists used natural selection as a rationale to disclaim God with an ulterior motive, and citing a famously religious person (apparenlty often quoted in GC) to make the point that the case is not at all open and shut in favor of religious people. I simply employed a common rhetorical device, and unly your FARMSy friends have never engaged in a pretense of being scientific or systematic.
You haven't answered by question. What discipline are you trained in? I have a degree in economics and I'm trained in quantitative methods. Not a warm-fuzzy liberal arts guy. And I spotted endogeneity in your use of evidence. Your CS Lewis paraphrase does nothing to support your claim.

If "endogeneity" is too big of a word for you, let me illustrate with an example.

"Because high-crime areas have more cops on the street, cops cause crime to go up."
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
You haven't answered by question. What discipline are you trained in? I have a degree in economics and I'm trained in quantitative methods. Not a warm-fuzzy liberal arts guy. And I spotted endogeneity in your use of evidence. Your CS Lewis paraphrase does nothing to support your claim.

If "endogeneity" is too big of a word for you, let me illustrate with an example.

"Because high-crime areas have more cops on the street, cops cause crime to go up."
I'm a lawyer.

If you think economics is not a "warm and fuzzy" type of thing you are sadly deluded. It's social science, which, as I'm sure the real scientists here will verify, is not science at all. Moreover, you probably only got a BS in it. I minored in econ, so there.

In any event, between you and me there is only one of us who comes here pretending to be something he is not.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
ChinoCoug

Quote:
I'm a lawyer.

If you think economics is not a "warm and fuzzy" type of thing you are sadly deluded. It's social science, which, as I'm sure the real scientists here will verify, is not science at all. Moreover, you probably only got a BS in it. I minored in econ, so there.
At the U, one of the only two Marxist departments in the country. The stuff they teach you is not mainstream. You still won't know anything about modern economic theory.

I currently only have a bachelor's, but I've taken graduate-level methodology courses. I know enough to read and understand empirical literature.

Quote:
In any event, between you and me there is only one of us who comes here pretending to be something he is not.
I agree.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
LOL. A bom apologist lecturing me about "methodology." The old big word dropping tactic. Personally, I don't know if religious people are more immoral than non-religious people. I have read studies that say the answer is at best inconclusive, and much depends on how you categorize Stalin and Hitler, as practicing secularism or a type of dogma and hence religion. I was simply resonding to Indy's clear insinuation that atheists used natural selection as a rationale to disclaim God with an ulterior motive, and citing a famously religious person (apparenlty often quoted in GC) to make the point that the case is not at all open and shut in favor of religious people. I simply employed a common rhetorical device, and unlike your FARMSy friends have never engaged in a pretense of being scientific or systematic.
And here is his methodology. "You believe in the book of Mormon, ergo, your statements are not credible. Hitler and Stalin had religions, too, after all."