cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 06-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

hm, dju read those articles, Archie? The first one's unavailable, as anything from JSTOR will be.

Second one is interesting, it indicates slaves were sacrificed in order to instill fear and help suppress the masses.

I am more interested in how they are drawing these conclusions. I suppose I should "look it up," as we librarians are wont to say.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 06-25-2007 at 03:07 AM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
BEHIND ENEMY LINES

BEHIND ENEMY LINES is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Has anyone else here ever read the Discover & Conquest of Mexico, written by Bernal Diaz?

I know he wrote it a good 30 years after the incidents in question, and that there are some occasional inaccuracies in his timeline (which appear to all be documented in the footnotes). However, I also remember one of my professors telling us that many people deem it to be largely inaccurate. After reading about half of it, I'm not sure how anyone who wasn't actually there could possibly know how accurate/inaccurate the book is. Anyone have any insight on this?
I have read some of Diaz's writings and they are fascinating. I think that his accounts are accurate from his biased point of view. He openly challenges Cortes' account of the events of the conquest and states that his account is the only accurate one. His words should be viewed as accurate but with the understanding that he is biased (he writes from the view of a common soldier).

More interesting to me are the Nahua and Mexica accounts (See Florentine Codex). Specificaly interesting to me is the Nahua viewpoint of the purpose of war. (Not for conquest but to gather worthy warrior / sacrifices to their gods).
BEHIND ENEMY LINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The second source actually looked at Emic and Etic sources to explain the conclusions Babs. I'm going to look at the Florentine Codex now that it's been mentioned.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The second source actually looked at Emic and Etic sources to explain the conclusions Babs.
I'd read the second source before I posted.

It does explain how it draws conclusions regarding the purpose of sacrifice. When I said I was curious how "they" were drawing conclusions, I had intended to convey that I'm curious about how others are figuring out the frequency and nature (cruelty) of human sacrifice, aspects which you alluded to in your earlier post. The second source, unless I missed something, didn't address that.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'd read the second source before I posted.

It does explain how it draws conclusions regarding the purpose of sacrifice. When I said I was curious how "they" were drawing conclusions, I had intended to convey that I'm curious about how others are figuring out the frequency and nature (cruelty) of human sacrifice, aspects which you alluded to in your earlier post. The second source, unless I missed something, didn't address that.
Since I'm mostly aware of emic, not etic sources, I can't opine how frequent these events were, but if Aztecs conducted war to obtain more sacrifices, one might suppose the frequencey were regular if not often.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHIND ENEMY LINES View Post
I have read some of Diaz's writings and they are fascinating. I think that his accounts are accurate from his biased point of view. He openly challenges Cortes' account of the events of the conquest and states that his account is the only accurate one. His words should be viewed as accurate but with the understanding that he is biased (he writes from the view of a common soldier).

More interesting to me are the Nahua and Mexica accounts (See Florentine Codex). Specificaly interesting to me is the Nahua viewpoint of the purpose of war. (Not for conquest but to gather worthy warrior / sacrifices to their gods).
Oh yeah, I read snippets of some of that when I was at BYU, fascinating stuff. This is the bit about where they killed the princess, skinned her and then one of the priests showed up dressed in her skin right?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #17
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Since I'm mostly aware of emic, not etic sources, I can't opine how frequent these events were, but if Aztecs conducted war to obtain more sacrifices, one might suppose the frequencey were regular if not often.
Well they had flower wars with some of the surrounding peoples. They were arranged wars, scheduled, and the purpose was to acquire live prisoners to use for sacrifices.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Arch, I thought that was a novel you're reading?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Arch, I thought that was a novel you're reading?
I am reading a novel, but my natural curiosity has me reading supporting archaeology and some linguistics concerning the Nahautl language. It's a fascinating language complete with pictographs and all. The pluraliization is a bit weird.

I just want to verify the research of the novelist to determine the legitimacy and authenticity of the work.