cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many miles a day do ya'll ride?

How frequently a week do you ride?

Can't find the Carmichael book for help, sorry for the cycle category spam.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can ride 2-3 evenings a week usually on weekdays, somewhere between 14 and 24 miles.

Saturday I try and get a longer ride in, between 30 and 50. Of course if I do a rally, it is longer.

Sunday is a day of rest.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
How frequently a week do you ride?

Can't find the Carmichael book for help, sorry for the cycle category spam.
from my newbie perspective, i try to ride 3 mornings a week at 5:30am on a 20 mile route I have. I'll sprinkle an emigration climb or a ride with my FiL on top of that. For me, ideally, I'd like to ride 100 miles a week, but I usually ride around 70.. that's the beginners wussy schedule.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
from my newbie perspective, i try to ride 3 mornings a week at 5:30am on a 20 mile route I have. I'll sprinkle an emigration climb or a ride with my FiL on top of that. For me, ideally, I'd like to ride 100 miles a week, but I usually ride around 70.. that's the beginners wussy schedule.
I was scared this morning, at 6 it was still dark and I don't have any lights on my bike, it freaked me out for the first 40 mins. (I did 19 miles this morning)
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't use me as a barometer, but right now I'm limited to two hours a day on a stationary bike.

So it sucks.

This past month I averaged between 175 to 250 miles per week. So I'll be down to about 150 to 160 stationary miles.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I was scared this morning, at 6 it was still dark and I don't have any lights on my bike, it freaked me out for the first 40 mins. (I did 19 miles this morning)
yeah, it's still pretty dark. it's a smart idea to get some lights on the bike when riding at dusk or dawn. there pretty much aren't any cars where i go for the first little while so I'm okay... sounds like you are off to a great start and are light years ahead of me already. nice work!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
yeah, it's still pretty dark. it's a smart idea to get some lights on the bike when riding at dusk or dawn. there pretty much aren't any cars where i go for the first little while so I'm okay... sounds like you are off to a great start and are light years ahead of me already. nice work!
Again, don't follow my example, as I love to cycle. I will ride in the dark, when it's hot, cold, windy, rainy or whatever.

I ride in traffic, in the desert, alone, in groups and in twosies. It's more dependable than sex and certainly more frequent.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I typically ride two mornings a week before work, between 18-35 miles depending on the day and who goes. I occasionally am able to sneak in a thursday afternoon ride of another 20-40 miles.

Saturday rides typically go 30-50 miles, unless I am preparing for a big rally, when it goes up to 70-80 miles. Right now my wife is getting ready for a marathon, so I am taking only the "B" exercise times on saturday. Since it is too hot after she gets back from running, I usually either go for an early run or go for about a 20 mile ride early.

Sunday is a rest day.

Lights and preferably a group are a must in my opinion if riding pre-dawn, which I do all the time. Either that or hit a nearby mountain bike trail, but that takes much more of a time commitment to travel to and from the trailhead.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I am happy with 100 miles a week.
Anything above that is gravy. Below it is a real disappointment.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Arch had me so worried about this ULCER ride that I put in 800 miles last month. After riding behind him for thirty miles I realized I should have gone 1000. 400-500 a month during the summer is about what I do.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote