cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I swear I'm not being judgmental here...

I was just struck by the irony of the proximity of the threads involving Ultimate Fighting and Sin City. This is purely a rhetorical question: Which is worse, actual people doing violence against each other to the cheers of millions, or a stylized depiction of violence in a work of fiction?

Like I said, I'm making no judgments, and I'm not even sure I have an opinion on the matter. I just wonder when, exactly, violence for the sake of violence becomes objectionable.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur

Like I said, I'm making no judgments, and I'm not even sure I have an opinion on the matter. I just wonder when, exactly, violence for the sake of violence becomes objectionable.
It is NOT when guys put on helmets and pads, and try to knock each others' heads off in front of 62,000 screaming fans apparently.

Bomb, blitz, shotgun......are we talking violence here?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I was just struck by the irony of the proximity of the threads involving Ultimate Fighting and Sin City. This is purely a rhetorical question: Which is worse, actual people doing violence against each other to the cheers of millions, or a stylized depiction of violence in a work of fiction?

Koom-bah-yah, my Lord, koom-bah-yah....Just kidding, chill!

It's got to be different for every person I guess. In response to your question, I would say the latter, as I think the violence in Sin City is far worse than anything you see in Ultimate Fighting. Ultimate Fighting has turned out to be pretty tame compared to what I initially thought it would be. Just my opinion...
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote