cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Levi Leipheimer at our local club race

Here in Redding, we have a weekly race series every Wednesday night. One cat I guy, several cat II/III riders, mostly IV/V guys, and the occasional hack, like myself.

I missed the last 2 weeks due to having a baby this past weekend. So who should show up for the last race of the season, but Levi Leipheimer from team Gerolsteiner. I’m guessing he’s probably the #2 guy in America, behind Armstrong.

Needless to say, he made childs play of the 20 mile road course, leaving most of the guys suffering on the hills. One guy did hang with him to the final sprint, sitting on his rear wheel for the last 7 or 8 miles.

One of my buddies rode most of the course with the lead pack. He said he was quite nervous riding some of the tight corners with Levi on his left side. He was envisioning the headline in Bicycling magazine – “Local hack takes out Leipheimer”.

Pretty cool stuff. After the ride everyone went out for pizza and beer (the root variety for the LDS guys). He gave away a pair of arm warmers and a polka dot jersey from the Tour of Germany, which he won this year. They say he was a very cool guy, down to earth and easy to talk to. I’m bummed I missed it. He said he plans to return again next October.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The REAL question

is whether he will add this victory to his offical palmares!

That is a very cool experience. Got any photos?
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
bluegoose

1st place Tour of Germany

3rd place Tour de France

2nd place Tour de Redding, and I probably would have beaten him even worse if he hadn't been drafting off of me the whole time. :wink:
Old 10-26-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

was it Dan that was able to stay with the lead group? That's pretty cool. He hasn't told me anything about it yet.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
bluegoose

Yes, the good Bishop was able to hang with the chase pack. I believe that he finished about 6th or 7th out of the 30 guys that showed up.

Note to other riders - beware of who you choose to ride with. Since I started riding with a couple of guys who are my former bishop and a current member of Stake Presidency, I was called as YM pres, have spoken at 2 stake PH leadership meetings, and was recently called as EQP. Steel likewise has been YM Pres, Exec Sec and is now in Bishopric.

I never had this problem when I was a regular with the Thursday night basketball crew. I wonder if they have any openings???
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No problem here

My riding comps include cops, strippers, apostates, and a bunch of horny guys.

I doubt I'll get any meaningful callings from that group.