cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting Read - I love this guy

With all the unrest (...still) this speech by Benjamin Netanyahu still rings true.

This was an amazing speech given to the House of Representatives and the Senate back in 2001....but, in my opinion, still rings true.

Have a read, and would be interesting to hear others viewpoints on this.

http://www.netanyahu.org/netspeacinse.html

http://www.netanyahu.org/statofforisp.html

...the guy is spot on.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg
With all the unrest (...still) this speech by Benjamin Netanyahu still rings true.

This was an amazing speech given to the House of Representatives and the Senate back in 2001....but, in my opinion, still rings true.

Have a read, and would be interesting to hear others viewpoints on this.

http://www.netanyahu.org/netspeacinse.html

http://www.netanyahu.org/statofforisp.html

...the guy is spot on.
Netanyahu is a nutjob and represents the loony fringe of Israeli politics. Thanksfully, the majority of Israelis agree and thus his power and influence have been substantially limited in recent years, in spite of increased terrorism inside Israel.

Much of what he says in this article is standard political fare, some of it quite dated at this point. However, a few things stuck out to me:

"Israel, a democratic government..."

This always puzzles me a bit. Yes, they are democratic in many ways, but I doubt the Palestinians in the occupied territories would completely agree. They are required to pay income tax, but they can't vote. No wonder they get a bit cynical with our efforts to "bring democracy to the Middle East". If the West Bank is truly part of Israel, then they should be allowed to vote. I dare bet that the settlers in the West Bank are allowed to vote.

"...my nation is being asked to stop fighting..."

This is just spin. Nobody is asking them to stop fighting.

"That today a Europe which sixty years ago refused to lift a finger to save millions of Jews has turned its collective back on the Jewish State is downright shameful."

Oh, the irony. What is truly shameful is him making this type of a statement. What a cheap shot.

"Third, Israel must establish physical barriers separating the main Palestinian population centers from Israeli towns and cities. This will prevent any residual terrorists from reaching Israel."

Well, they built the barrier all right. But it went nowhere near the original borders of the West Bank. It zigged and zagged so as to include most of the best farmland and sources of water on the outside of the fence.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-25-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I would vote for Netanyahu for President of the USA before anyone else I can think of in politics that has a chance of running. Too bad it's impossible...

To put it better, I wish there was a carbon copy of Netanyahu running for President that I could vote for.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 07-25-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I would vote for Netanyahu for President of the USA before anyone else I can think of in politics that has a chance of running. Too bad it's impossible...

To put it better, I wish there was a carbon copy of Netanyahu running for President that I could vote for.
Say your prayers and maybe Michael Savage or Lars Larson will run for president. Or Pat Robertson.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Say your prayers and maybe Michael Savage or Lars Larson will run for president. Or Pat Robertson.
Yawn...
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote