cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Blasphemy Challenge

have you guys already heard of the Blasphemy Challenge?

http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/

The "Rational Responders" are encouraging teenagers to videotape themselves acting out Mark 3:29 (The blasphemy of the Spirit "unforgivable sin" verse), then upload it to youtube. They win a free DVD. There are 1200 takers so far.

They've gotten a lot of media attention.
http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/mediacoverage.html

I had read works by several of the evangelical atheists, but this certainly takes proselytizing to a new level. (They refer to religion repeatedly as child abuse.)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Referring to it as child abuse, are they friends with Seattle, who considers tantamount to torture and torment?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

In Mormonism, there is no regular hell per se. There is only eternal darkness for the very few who commit the worst sin.

Quote:
42 That through him all might be saved whom the Father had put into his power and made by him;
43 Who glorifies the Father, and saves all the works of his hands, except those sons of perdition who deny the Son after the Father has revealed him.
44 Wherefore, he saves all except them—they shall go away into berlasting punishment, which is endless punishment, which is eternal punishment, to reign with the devil and his angels in eternity, where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched, which is their torment—
45 And the end thereof, neither the place thereof, nor their torment, no man knows;
46 Neither was it revealed, neither is, neither will be revealed unto man, except to them who are made partakers thereof;
47 Nevertheless, I, the Lord, show it by vision unto many, but straightway shut it up again;
48 Wherefore, the end, the width, the height, the depth, and the misery thereof, they understand not, neither any man except those who are ordained unto this condemnation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In Mormonism, there is no regular hell per se. There is only eternal darkness for the very few who commit the worst sin.
So how does the Church interpret the "blasphemy of the Spirit" verse? This verse has always been the subject of much debate among Protestants, and of course no one knows what it really means, so I am curious.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Referring to it as child abuse, are they friends with Seattle, who considers tantamount to torture and torment?
Seattle, have you sent your video in yet? Free DVD!!

I understand their point, that there are ways to really mess up kids through religion. Of course there are plenty of secular ways to screw your kids up, as well.

But there are also age-appropriate ways to teach children about faith.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
So how does the Church interpret the "blasphemy of the Spirit" verse? This verse has always been the subject of much debate among Protestants, and of course no one knows what it really means, so I am curious.
We rely on the Doctrine and Covenants and not Mark.

It's not clear in my mind who these people are, but what I have been taught generally is these are those who know God and rebel against him. When I say "know", I mean really know, not just sort of believe.

So rapists and murderers, generally speaking, would go to the lowest degree of glory, and not eternal darkness. Or so I have been taught.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
It is not completely understood by Mormons, but sufficient discussion has resulted in us believing it applies to but a few.

You must first have firm knowledge conveyed to you by the Spirit and by Christ that he lives and then actively campaign against that knowledge. It has been explained to lie against absolute knowledge and truth is an unforgivable act. However, in light of the fact that we myriads of folk don't have that level of knowledge, we are incapable of committing that sin. Judas Iscariot, Cain and some like that are the few who could.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Seattle, have you sent your video in yet? Free DVD!!

I understand their point, that there are ways to really mess up kids through religion. Of course there are plenty of secular ways to screw your kids up, as well.

But there are also age-appropriate ways to teach children about faith.
What better self-contained pre-prepared package to teach moral philosophy other than religion? I can't think of any.

I suppose a couple of pedagogically inclined, Phds, might be able to imbue a sense of self-awareness and societal duty, but it is much more difficult than through religion.

There are many easier ways to screw your children up than through religion.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't have much to add of substance, BG. MW and Arch, I think, summarize the "unpardonable sin" in Mormon thought fairly well. I would add that I think some statements by Joseph Smith in the King Follett discourse have affected LDS understanding of the topic. For example,

Quote:
All sins shall be forgiven except the sin against the Holy Ghost; for Jesus will save all except the sons of perdition. What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy. This is the case with many apostates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
[note, there are multiple recollections of the sermon and they aren't exactly same. So for example, Wilford Woodruff's recollection of this paragraph is slightly different than this one.]

Quote:
No man can commit the unpardonable sin, untill He receives the Holy Ghost, All will suffer untill they obey Christ himself, even the devil said I am a savior and can save all, he rose up in rebelion against God and was cast down,. Jesus Christ will save all except the sons of perdition. What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin they must receive the Holy Ghost have the heavens opened unto them, & know God, & then sin against him, this is the case with many apostates in this Church, they never seease to try to hurt me, they have got the same spirit the devil had, you cannot save them, they make open war like the devil,

Last edited by pelagius; 05-15-2007 at 08:59 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Hmmmm. SU are you an apostate?